Is anyone using a bp/w setup with short tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

General Po

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Please excuse the various measurements and conversions used - I'm from New Zealand.
I do around 70 shore dives a year and for these I use Faber 10 liter steel tanks which make a huge difference to my level of comfort and enjoyment in diving, not to mention the safety of my camera as I was always tripping and falling while entering and exiting in tall aluminum tanks. I think in the US the equivalent is called a HP80, anyway they are 24 inches from the top of the valve to the bottom of the boot. I have no interest in changing tanks.
Anyway I'd like to get a change from a jacket BCD to a backplate and wing setup but the first manufacturer I contacted told me this is not going to work with my choice of tank. I was going to give up and stick with my jacket until I realized that I have one friend who has been diving with Faber dumpy 12s (also 24 inches) and a Halcyon wing for around 18 months without incident and my instructor uses short aluminum tanks (AL63s???) and has had a Halcyon wing for around 3 months.
Is there anyone else out there who is using a bp/w (any brand) and short tanks? Any incidents with wing flats so far?
I should mention that our water is cold, I use a drysuit, and I'd need a wing in the 26lb to 30lb range.

If anyone, particularly any man, out there feels the need to respond suggesting I change tanks then please don't bother.

I use Faber 10L (they are LP66 here) with a halcyon 30lb wing. I usually dive them with a single reg setup and use the tank as a reserve while breathing of an AL80 stage.
It works perfectly fine. The only thing you need to watch is the tank not stepping on the wing when you land it on a bench or elsewhere.
Better yet get a horseshoe wing (DSS makes an LCD30 wing) and that will not be so much of an issue.

I use a bp and 30 lb wing with an AL 63, no problem. I think that's like an 8L. Sometimes I've used HP steel 80's, also no problem. I haven't had any issues and haven't heard of anyone else having issues either. Bp/w's, AL or steel 80's and drysuits are extremely common here in our very cold water also.

My partner uses a BP/W with HP80 tanks. She has a 30lb Oxycheq Mach V wing for cold water diving. I have seen HP80's used on many different BP/W's, including DSS, Halcyon, Dive Rite, Freedom Plate, Hollis, Hog...

I use a Dive Rite Voyager and a SS backplate with a short Al 80 (about the same length as the HP steel 80), LP steel 95, and long Al 80. I prefer the LP steel 95s for trim and the short Al 80 for size. I have had no issues what so ever. I do set the top of my BP/W in the same position from the top of all the tanks. This ends up with the wing even with the bottom of the tank with the shortest one. I keep from pinching the wing by making sure it is inflated before setting it down. An inflated bladder is hard to pinch, a deflated one is very easy to pinch.

Is this a 10L 300Bar faber tank?

i use one with lp95 single but have not tried doubles

My primary cylinder is the HP80. I dive Freedom plate with a 30 pound Oxycheq MXV wing and it's dandy wet and dry. I'm 5'-10". In fact may favorite is a little Faber/ScubaPro MP72, that's a dense little puppy and it dives nice too.

If you are especially tall your experience may differ.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom