Is anyone concerned about this spreading to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feeler safer here statistically than many places I've lived and visited.

There is certainly a solid drug and crime presence here but as stated... Tourists are the money makers... Everyone takes care of the sheep... Can't fleece us if they kill the golden goose. Last count there are 16 drug peddlers on the main drag. They aren't buying their supply at Walmart. And the income steam is happy tourists... Organized crime (gangs) like happy tourists just like any other business.

I too don't mind back streets at night in Cozumel... Though I'm generally asleep or underwater by the time evening rolls around. It's worth noting there are regular muggings like any city but I wouldn't call those gang related.

Cameron

We were in Cozumel last month, as we walked to town on several occasions we were asked about buying drugs from young adult males saying they had a "full pharmacy". It was always the same place, in front of the telecomm building between Senor Frogs and the Ti Tanzinite.

I went to the island twice this year, once in April, and again just this past September. Both times walking to town, right around this same place, I was asked the same thing and when I said "no," I was then asked if I wanted to meet the guys' "sister." Which had never happened in any previous trip(s) going back 10 years, and over 15 trips. So I think something's clearly changing, and not for the better. Its not to the point that it's going to discourage me from going back again, but its worth keeping an eye on, for sure.

As to the offer to meet the guy's sister, it's not like this is something entirely new. Prostitution has been available on Cozumel to anyone looking for it for as long as I can remember, even if it is kept somewhat discreet. There are at least 3-4 places that have been around a long, long time where the girls are "for rent", if you know what I mean. Carribean Queen, a nightclub on the Transversal about 3 km back from town that has been there for at least 20 years, had and (AFAIK) still has topless (maybe nude) dancers on the stage out front, and small rooms out back where customers could arrange private dates with the girls. Club Salsa, on the main cross street just south of the International Pier, is very popular with cruise ship crews for the female companionship on offer. There is also Barco, on Melgar a little ways south of the International Pier. And until it closed, the Green Cigar (?), right in downtown San Miguel on Calle 2 Norte (if I recall correctly) offered drinks, cuban cigars, and, for those so inclined, a short private tryst in a back room with a bar girl. There may be other places; I never went looking for them. But anyone who is looking probably needs only to ask the first cab driver they run into. And I have been offered female companionship by a local when sitting at Woody's having a beer, and, many, many years ago, in the Sports Page (which has been closed for years now) by one of the guys behind the bar. Frankly, I'd be much more concerned about the drugs and violence. Prostitution has been around forever, and was even considered a noble profession in ancient Greece, the cradle of Western Civilization, and sponsored by the Catholic Church in the early Middle Ages; it was really only the rise of puritanism after the Reformation that made prostitution morally suspect.

The first time I came to Cozumel was in the early 1990’s and at that time it was mostly divers who visited then plus some Cruise people. Now it seems many if not most of the tourists are non divers and it’s becoming another common party vacation place.

There are dangerous locations and activities just about everywhere there is anything interesting to do. Use some common sense and minimize your risk exposure: don't flash jewelry or cash; don't travel alone or to isolated areas; be respectful to everyone and to local customs. Arrange transportation in advance or through your hotel. I've travelled a lot in Mexico, including CUN, Isla Mujeres, Coz, Playa Aventura, etc., and have felt safer there than in parts of many U.S. cities. .

and when I said "no," I was then asked if I wanted to meet the guys' "sister."

if you had not noticed, After Wilma, all the brothels moved from transversal road to right on the main road near the cruise ships. Prostitution has always been in Cozumel, now its more in the open.

The world is not a safe place. Diving is all about risk management, and so is traveling.

Easy to say, not so easy to implement for all practical purposes.

I mean would you do a "safe" dive in Acapulco?

On a somewhat related thread.... what rights to self defense to tourists have? Obviously a tourist would not be carrying, and even knives are illegal to carry, but if a tourist fought a national to avoid a mugging, is the tourist in the wrong similar to traffic accidents?

I'm not sure I would want to break my hand over $40, but I definately don't want to go to jail over $40 when the thief says I attacked him.

Are crimes against tourists even prosecuted? When the witness is leaving in a few days, I would think it would be hard.

Just curious.
Jay

If it’s $40 why not just give it to him? If he is armed, my life and well-being is worth more than the $40 (or however much I’m carrying actually). My life is also worth more than “just making a point”.

Back
Top Bottom