Is Aeris brand obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m posting about this because my buddy isn’t on scubaboard and I told him I’d do some research for him.
Anyway, my buddy has two sets of Aeris regs for himself and his wife. I think he’s had them for 8-10 years and got them online somewhere on a hot deal. They need service but nobody around here will touch them.
Are there any parts still available for these?
I heard the company got bought by oceanic but apparently they dumped the Aeris brand.
I know very little about these regs other than they are a diaphragm design and fairly cheap.
He want’s to service them if possible to get a few more years out of them, but if that’s not possible then that’s OK too.
Does anybody have a source for NOS parts kits?

Thanks!

Hi @Eric Sedletzky

Aeris was part of American Underwater Products (AUP), founded by Bob Hollis, in 1972 (Aeris, Hollis, Oceanic, Pelagic Pressure Systems...). Aeris was folded into Oceanic in September 2014 and hasn't existed as a brand since then. Pelagic Pressure Systems was purchased by Aqua Lung in May 2015. Hollis and Oceanic were acquired by Huish in May 2017

Oceanic product service can still be viewed on the Oceanic website Service - Oceanic Worldwide Service is handled by Huish. Aeris has not been listed for quite a while

I'm sorry, I have no specific information on availability of parts or service for Aeris regulators. I have no idea if Aeris has models and/or parts in common with Oceanic regs. Your friend may want to contact Oceanic/Huish with questions Contact Us - Oceanic Worldwide I might also contact an Oceanic dealer/service center to ask about the Aeris regs.

Good luck to you and your buddy

Aeris is functionally dead and AUP and now Huish have struggled for years to supply parts for the current regulators to the service centers. I would consider them similar to Dacor, dump them…

Several Aeris regulators can be serviced with Oceanic kits. Aeris AT400 is a CDX 5 pre 2017 model. It uses a 40.6183 first stage kit which was redesigned with new style push pin, HP poppet and HP seat due in part to old style seat delaminating. The unbalnced piston first can be serviced with a SP5 kit. I believe it is 40.6181 kit. Although no DVT parts are avalible in the kits. Several second stage kits can be serviced with 40.6180 Oceanic kits. No Oceanic usable kits for the ION. Although it will be a liability issue for dealers since Aeris is no longer supported. If you know how to service and have access to kits may be only option. Alot of Aeris are sold online and buyers are not aware of no service available.

If you know the model numbers, some Oceanic dealers may be able to service them or provide the parts kits. I have a CDX5 and a DX4. Can't get parts for the DX4 easily so that lives as a blowgun/tire inflator reg. The CDX 5 is the same reg as the Aeris At400 and they used the same kit. You can still find kits for the CDX5 and northeast scuba supply has them and will sell to anyone. Since Oceanic has been taken over by Huish parts have been hard to get for new models.
Depending on the reg, it may be better to relegate it to something to take apart and put back together for hands on basic knowledge unless you can find kits on ebay and a copy of the manual.
If they still work and don't leak, they make fine 1st stages for the bench, tire inflation, pool toy inflation, etc.
Useful for some land applications but not so much actually in the water. Given the ages and how they may have been cared for, I would not trust them.
The second stages were junk anyway and pain in the butt to service. The faceplates also tend to disintegrate after a while or get brittle and crack like eggshells.

Thanks guys.
I’ll just tell him they’re junk.
It sounds like a pain to try and obtain parts for a mediocre reg anyway. I was not impressed with them when he had a freeflow once at depth.
When I checked them on land I couldn’t believe the crappy flow rate when I depressed both purge buttons at the same time. I’d hate to have to share air off that thing at say 100’. That would suck, literally!
But then I’m used to the flow of a MK20.

I don’t think he’s going to want to spend big money on a super high end set for himself and his wife. They only do basic warm water diving on vacation, and around here he’ll dive with me and we do shore dives down to 60’-70’ max. There might be an occasional 100’ dive somewhere but that would be really rare.
I’m tempted to steer him towards two MK 2’s with R-whatever basic poppet model now, and then buy a nice SP balanced second stage separately to use as the primary, something new that replaces the classic G250. These are super easy to service and arguably the most bullet proof and dependable regs out there. Not a lot to go wrong including becoming obsolete.
I’m sending him to our LDS, who has been just great to deal with lately! We need to keep them up and running.

Thanks guys.
It sounds like a pain to try and obtain parts for a mediocre reg anyway. I was not impressed with them when he had a freeflow once at depth.
When I checked them on land I couldn’t believe the crappy flow rate when I depressed both purge buttons at the same time. I’d hate to have to share air off that thing at say 100’. That would suck, literally!
But then I’m used to the flow of a MK20.

I don’t think he’s going to want to spend big money on a super high end set for himself and his wife. They only do basic warm water diving on vacation, and around here he’ll dive with me and we do shore dives down to 60’-70’ max. There might be an occasional 100’ dive somewhere but that would be really rare.
I’m tempted to steer him towards two MK 2’s with R-whatever basic poppet model now, and then buy a nice SP balanced second stage separately to use as the primary, something new that replaces the classic G250. These are super easy to service and arguably the most bullet proof and dependable regs out there. Not a lot to go wrong including becoming obsolete.
I’m sending him to our LDS, who has been just great to deal with lately! We need to keep them up and running.
Think Mk11 for a low cost first, paired with any good second. If his seconds are decent they may be good enough but I would look for a used G250 or newer.

It sounds like a pain to try and obtain parts for a mediocre reg anyway.

This will be my advice and opinion.

I’m tempted to steer him towards two MK 2’s with R-whatever basic poppet model now, and then buy a nice SP balanced second stage separately to use as the primary,

Not sure of the prices in the US but the prices for the better regulator, the MK11/C370, are at the same price or slightly above the MK2/R195. I'd buy the MK11/C370 for it will be far more efficient than buying the MK2/R195 and much better value.

Here is what he has.
He said he had them serviced a couple years ago and sent them off to Oceanic and they did them.
0F84DDFD-D24B-420B-B81A-834948032080.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom