Is adding RAM to computer the key?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
Crucial.com is the way to go unless you want to take the risk (I have been burned several times by the cheap stuff from Pricewatch vendors).
This is true.

I'm lucky in that where I get my RAM will let me try the cheaper stuff and if it doesn't work they'll exchange it for the better make. I've had one occasion with a friends computer it needed changing - and once where it was OK. Even when it was OK though I had to switch the memory around in the banks to get it stable. It's not a game worth playing if you don't know what you are doing.

DandyDon:
Maybe - I'd be at the mercy of the Best Buy "Geek Squad" if I tried.
Ah.. the shortbus of IT support personnel! Save yourself trouble and call on a friends teenager whose got no social life, they'll know more than those 'trained' apes.

CBulla:
Ah.. the shortbus of IT support personnel! Save yourself trouble and call on a friends teenager whose got no social life, they'll know more than those 'trained' apes.

24.gif

We live in this anonymous building, where nobody knows anybody else, but I think that our direct neighbor would fit that description :wink:

If you want to see really great computer performance look to the teenage computer game players. They have the hottest stuff out there and they know how to push it to do more and faster.

Unfortunately I am back on the trailing edge of technology using mostly stuff that other people toss out after they upgrade. :D

pipedope:
If you want to see really great computer performance look to the teenage computer game players. They have the hottest stuff out there and they know how to push it to do more and faster.

Some are not so teenage.... cough cough :05:.
Lol, :14:.

Jamdiver:

True, and while the 'not so teenage' gamers tend to have more money for the fast toys the younger ones *generally* spend more time and effort getting the max out of the machine.

In any case it is the game players who are pushing the computers the most, so they are a great source of info on getting best performance.
OTOH Don't blow up your machine either. If the person says you can do this overclock but you need water cooling, "You NEED water cooling!" :D
Otherwise you might just let the magic smoke out.

Jamdiver:
Yep. This year, I've spent just a bit more on dive equipment than I have on building a new computer. Components chosen down to the chipset. I also use cheaper RAM, never found the extra cost of the name-brand stuff to be worth it, no BSDs either. Instead of buying name-brand RAM, I dropped another $100 on a screaming video card.

What was that about not having a life? :06:

Halthron:
Yep. This year, I've spent just a bit more on dive equipment than I have on building a new computer. Components chosen down to the chipset. I also use cheaper RAM, never found the extra cost of the name-brand stuff to be worth it, no BSDs either. Instead of buying name-brand RAM, I dropped another $100 on a screaming video card.

At a certain point if you build your own machines then you can make decent judgements about various chipsets (both mainboard and video) and achieve the desired stability. Of course it needs lots of research, but all the info that you need - plus experiences from others who have done it - is out there on the web.

Halthron:

Eh, i'm sorta into gaming, don't have the time nor care to plunk down huge amounts of cash on a new video card every 8 months.

I'm actually happy with my solidly middle of the road dell.
If I were into gaming seriously though, i'd take the same route as you in building a machine :D.

I'll stick with the old games though thank you :14:...

8 months is kind of quick for me, I normally upgrade a video card about every two years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom