Is a QC6 repairable/serviceable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rddvet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
One of my male QC6s finally failed after about 5 years. It will seat and flow when pushed into the female QC6, but it will not lock in place. I confirmed it was the male QC6 not the femal side by testing with multiple other male QC6s. It's a fairly inexpensive part compared to everything else on the rebreather, but if its easily serviceable I'd like to service it and keep it as a spare. But looking at it I don't think it is.
I believe @tbone1004 commented on this once a couple years back, but I couldn't find the info.
Side note, my QC6s see saltwater exceptionally rarely. This one happened to fail on a saltwater trip (the first in 4 years). Excluding saltwater pasages in mexico (where I'm not really connecting and disconnecting anyway).

Rebuild instructions

You can purchase the rebuild kits from Swagelok, should be one within an hour of you, but if you take apart and it's just the o-rings you may want to measure them and report back.
Damnit, that's exactly what I was searching for, but failed miserably.
I figured you'd know. Thanks
Swagelok is just on the other side of the bridge in tampa, so should be easy to go grab

You can soak them in dilute phosphoric acid to remove the rusty scale and they seal like new again
Would Coke work? It’s pretty acidic…

Would Coke work? It’s pretty acidic…
Possibly as its actually the same active ingredient, but don't dilute it and might take awhile. I already have the phosphoric acid for de-rusting steel tanks. You can buy it buy the gallon online pretty cheap. Works way better than screwing with tumbling for some unknown time.

Or use 9% vinegar instead.
You can't just use any random acid. The rust stains in the stainless steel are oxidized iron. To remove those you need phosphoric acid. The same stuff which is in naval jelly. Lemon juice, vinegar, or whatnot may eventually remove the corrosion , especially if you use a hot ultrasonic bath. Or you could just get the correct acid which is about $30 quart and can/should be diluted down about 8:1. And you only need 100ml of that. A quart will last a long time.

You can't just use any random acid. The rust stains in the stainless steel are oxidized iron. To remove those you need phosphoric acid. The same stuff which is in naval jelly. Lemon juice, vinegar, or whatnot may eventually remove the corrosion , especially if you use a hot ultrasonic bath. Or you could just get the correct acid which is about $30 quart and can/should be diluted down about 8:1. And you only need 100ml of that. A quart will last a long time.
Depends from kind of dirt that causes an issue. Rust - may be coke/phosphoric acid. But for salt - vinegar is cheap and easy.
If i had an QC6 with same issue - i first try vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom