Is a pre-packaged “Save A Dive” kit worth the expense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PFF

Reaction score
Is a pre-packaged “Save A Dive” kit worth the expense?

I am not talking cost but the quality and durability of the spares offered in the kit. I am debating as to whether or not the kits are worth while versus assembling a more personalized kit with specific individual pieces tailored to the equipment I own.

Are you talking about something more than the usual O rings-in-a-box kit ?

I bought one of the little box of O rings with the most different sizes in it and then made up the rest of my Save-A-Dive box with stuff more specific to my needs

DB

It's a pretty good place to start especially for a new diver if the straps, etc. that are included will fit your gear. I started with one of those years ago and have expanded it to suit my equipment and my diving style.
Ber :lilbunny:

I am talking about these pre-packaged kits that have mask & fin straps to snorkle keepers, including a few o-rings. I have been accummulating spares but I am lacking the fin / mask straps and such. I am wondering what type of quality is these kits or am I better off finding replacements from manufacturer?

The one I had was fine as far as quality even though it was a few years before I needed the fin straps. Not all straps will fit all fins though, keep that in mind.

I replaced my regular mask strap with a slap strap (which I love) and put the original mask strap in my save-a-dive kit.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit, I have never heard of a "slap strap". What exactly is that? Why do you prefer that over what came on your mask originally?

I'd probably say the little small ones are not much of a value... If you want a nice little kit, there is one that comes in a small box with a scuba tool, 40 o-rings, straps, mouthpiece, etc... and since a scubatool by itself would run most the price - those seem like a good deal.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=deluxe_saveadive

The day you need it it's worth its weight in gold.
Rick

A slap strap is a neoprene mask strap. Divers with hair (I was once one of those) find it doesn't tangler in their hair like a typical silicone or rubber strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom