Is a God Needed for Morality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBry:
Freewill and predestination are handily encompassed simultaneously.
OMG, are we going to have to have the FLATLAND discussion again?

Thalassamania:
OMG, are we going to have to have the FLATLAND discussion again?

Nah, just talking about dimensions here. Flatland?

It's been labeled, so I assume it has been pre-refuted, then? :wink:

Did you nose him at the top of the stairs?<G>

DiverBry:
Nah, just talking about dimensions here. Flatland?

It has a label, so I assume it has been pre-refuted, then? :wink:
No: Flatland!

We'll talk about it when you're done reading Flatland.

DiverBry:
Time is but a dimension. We're familiar with 4 of them... but many more are predicted mathematically.

Let's assume for discussion that God who created the universe, including its dimensions, were somehow constrained by the 4th one. Wouldn't that be a surprise?

Predestination is only a problem if you assume time can only be traversed in one direction, and that the past and future are too remote to be arbitrarily visited by any entity.

Freewill and predestination are handily encompassed simultaneously.

maybe God created the universe such that God was also 'constrained' by time?

if i were an omniscient, omnipotent being the one thing that I'd really lust after would be a surprise... pretty boring, otherwise...

which brings up a question, do any of the Christians ever consider the quality of life afforded to God by all their demands on what characteristics God should have? i definitely wouldn't want to take the job...

lamont:
maybe God created the universe such that God was also 'constrained' by time?

if i were an omniscient, omnipotent being the one thing that I'd really lust after would be a surprise... pretty boring, otherwise...

which brings up a question, do any of the Christians ever consider the quality of life afforded to God by all their demands on what characteristics God should have? i definitely wouldn't want to take the job...

The characteristics that I attribute to God are those that He tells us about in the Bible.

MikeFerrara:
The characteristics that I attribute to God are those that He tells us about in the Bible.

Wow...then your God is in favor of slavery, polygamy and stoning rebellious children in the middle of town.

And in church, your God is against women talking or wearing jewelry or having braided hair.

Nice!

lamont:
maybe God created the universe such that God was also 'constrained' by time?...
"If God hadn't rested on Sunday, he might
have had time to finish off the world."
-Gabriel García Márquez

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom