Is a flow restictor required when fitting Ratio Transmitter to HP Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well my new MK19Evo came bundled with a spare flow restrictor in a little plastic pouch. I didn’t get any with the other MK25Evo I purchased.

Interesting, I just received an MK19/G260 but no restrictor. I don't know why they would include the restrictor with a regulator. Can you send a picture of the restrictor and the pouch it came in (perhaps with a part number) please?

CORRECTION:

The Ratio transmitter does need a spool when connected to a HP hose with swivel but doesn't need one when connected directly to the HP port on a regulator first stage. Sorry for the information that wasn't accurate (deleted now).

CORRECTION:

The Ratio transmitter does need a spool when connected to a HP hose with swivel but doesn't need one when connected directly to the HP port on a regulator first stage. Sorry for the information that wasn't accurate (deleted now).
ALL HP devices that are hose-connected need the swivel; that is how the hose seals to the device.

ALL HP devices that are hose-connected need the swivel; that is how the hose seals to the device.

Yes, the spool provides a "conduit" for air flow from the pinhole in the HP hose to the "HP device" with the two tiny o'ring making the seal. Without the spool and the two o'rings, air would leak through the hose connection.

Interesting, I just received an MK19/G260 but no restrictor. I don't know why they would include the restrictor with a regulator. Can you send a picture of the restrictor and the pouch it came in (perhaps with a part number) please?
No part number just came in the cardboard carton …attached pic.

Attachments

• 6AE37888-7368-4DF3-9B15-8180AF227163.jpeg
    6AE37888-7368-4DF3-9B15-8180AF227163.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 50
The little spool/spindle/flow-restrictor is essential to get swivel action between an HP hose and an SPG. Since a transmitter does not need to swivel, it does not need the device.

A spool is required for a connection that swivels (like a hose). The flow restrictor is required by some manufacturers like SUUNTO and Garmin betwen the 1st stage and the transmitter.

No part number just came in the cardboard carton …attached pic.

That's a swivel spool. I have no idea why they would include that with a regulator. Was there something else with your order or was it just a regulator?

That's a swivel spool. I have no idea why they would include that with a regulator. Was there something else with your order or was it just a regulator?
The c370 was the other bit. Nothing else. Looks like someone decided to include it on a whim. That said the cardboard box while a Scubapro branded box appeared to be either recycled spare box lying around because it had a white tape with handwritten note “converted to DIN”… not sure if the piece I got was originally yoke but it looks fresh and as DIN as a DIN can be…

A spool is required for a connection that swivels (like a hose). The flow restrictor is required by some manufacturers like SUUNTO and Garmin betwen the 1st stage and the transmitter.
The problem here is the normal spool serves two simultaneous purposes: allowing for a swivel-hose connection, and providing some flow-restriction. Suunto chose to add a flow restrictor to its transmitters, apparently to solve a problem it was having. The Garmin transmitter also has a flow restrictor requirement, perhaps to avoid the problem Suunto was having. But the flow-restrictor -- depending on the design -- may not also serve the purpose of sealing an HP device when attached to a hose, thus Garmin has you remove the flow restrictor used to attach their transmitter to a first stage, and replace it with a spool (that flow stricts but also seals) for use when the transmitter is on the end of a hose.

Back
Top Bottom