Is a dive computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please, for the love of God do a search on the forum here. The last thing this forum needs is yet another thread on whether or not one NEEDS a computer.

We certainly don't NEED another thread on that topic.

Oh get over it. You don't have to click on things. Jez.

Here's what you do.
Get a reasonably priced computer and strap it onto your wrist. Learn how to use it (of course) so if you get asked about it you'll know what to tell them.
Then just continue using your watch and depth gauge like you normally do. Nobody will know the difference.

Seems like a waste. Computers are useful things. Not necessary, but quite handy. If you fork out for one you may as well use it imho. If the OP is happy with tables, then s/he can stick to tables.

I use my computer in computer mode on rec dives. I follow that. I have had to end dives early due to friends' more conservative computers. At times tables have been less conservative than my computer (my SSI tables give me more time at 24m than my Uwatec computer). There are many computers with various run times allowed for certain profiles. So I don't think people getting annoyed at greater conservatism is going to be a huge deal as it may happen if one gets conservative computers. I pay no attention to whether my DM has a computer or not personally. They can follow me around until I'm done and if they have to come up earlier, it's not going to affect my dive as I'll carry on anyway.

If I were a vacation diver who had paid for divemaster services (which I wouldn't in real life because I prefer to plan and execute my own dives), I'd be upset if the divemaster/dive guide were using tables and had to end his dives really early because he ran out of calculated bottom times per the tables.

Okay. Y'all've talked me into it! For me, the tables have always been quick and easy. I go out on my boat, dive in, check my depth and time, come up, check my tables, repeat until I max out. But I can see the advantages of having the DC for leading groups...if only to make others feel comfortable. Now I gotta go pick one out -- maybe an Oceanic Geo...hmmm

Oh, and I'm going DM mostly "just 'cause," but my wife and I travel A LOT and I know I can land jobs at some places working pro bono for a dive shop and being paid pro domo so I can dive for free.

ghoti,

If you are vacation diving with any intensity a dive computer will let you safely get the most for your vacation dollar. The ability to manage multilevel dives effectively adds hours of bottom time compared to rounding up to square table profiles. That is the single biggest reason to one a dive computer. It will gather all sorts of other nifty info but in the end that's mostly trivia.

If you're going to make only 1 or 2 modest dives a day then you can stay with your traditional instruments with little or no penalty.

As for it's relationship to becoming a dive master it comes down to many of the same benefits along with becoming knowledgeable about your fellow diver's gear.

Pete

But I can see the advantages of having the DC for leading groups...if only to make others feel comfortable.

IMO that's not a valid reason.

The only dive computer that is of any benefit to me is mine. It has my loading history and is working to keep me in the limits.

Knowing that my DM (if I had one) had a computer would do nothing for my confidence or comfort. You won't be getting bent until after the dive. Before investing I suggest getting your head back into dive planning and study how a dive computer augments that. Don't buy one because someone here said to.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom