Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you were stranded on a tropical island with a solar powered compressor all your gear except your PDC would you dive?

If you were stranded on a tropical island with a solar powered compressor all your gear except your PDC would you dive?
Yes, with thirty feet of vines tied to a floating coconut if need be.

Then a PDC isn't essential for you.
All you really need is a source of compressed air, even a regulator is somewhat optional.

This earlier post explains my point of view:
In theory, a computer will give you more time if you spend most of your time shallower than the maximum depth, but at the depths you are talking about, it probably won't make much difference. Using the PADI tables, your maximum bottom time for a first dive to 18 meters would be 55 minutes, and if you stayed out of the water for 3 hours, a second dive to the same depth would be 49 minutes. If you are not going to exceed those times, you barely need the tables.
I have written about this often--there are dives where you don't need any instrumentation--no need for computers, SPGs, depth gauges, or timing devices. As dives get deeper, your needs increase.

At some point, you will want to look at the definition of "need." For example, later today I will go to a store about 5 miles away to pick up some items weighing about 40 pounds. I could put a pack on my back and walk there and back, but I will take my car. I don't "need" the car, but I'll take it anyway.

@AfterDark By that simple logic alone -- would you dive? -- a compressor is not required either. EVERYTHING depends on how long you wish to stay down and at what depth(s). For some choices, a PDC IS required. For others they are not. That's precisely why this thread is still on-going, as the OP hasn't clarified.

if you went to Truk, and your computer didn't work, would it impact your trip adversely?

Would you be happy cutting your dives short compared with everyone else, who is diving on computer?

The first time I went to the Red Sea on a live aboard. I borrowed a Suunto Solution, (which was worth more than my new drysuit!) If I hadn't had the computer, and had relied on tables, by day three I would have had to miss at least every other dive to get back on the tables!
If you are diving once a year adding a day or two diving to your holiday, then a computer doesn't make economic sense (nor does buying reg's bcd etc). If you are diving regularly, its uneconomic not to have a computer.

All you really need is a source of compressed air, even a regulator is somewhat optional.
A reg is essential for me I draw the line at "feathering" a valve while trying to breath from it. So judging by your last post a tank is essential or is a long hose is all you'll be needing?

if you went to Truk, and your computer didn't work, would it impact your trip adversely?

Would you be happy cutting your dives short compared with everyone else, who is diving on computer?

The first time I went to the Red Sea on a live aboard. I borrowed a Suunto Solution, (which was worth more than my new drysuit!) If I hadn't had the computer, and had relied on tables, by day three I would have had to miss at least every other dive to get back on the tables!
If you are diving once a year adding a day or two diving to your holiday, then a computer doesn't make economic sense (nor does buying reg's bcd etc). If you are diving regularly, its uneconomic not to have a computer.
But still diving which was the question wasn't it? Is a PDC essential for diving?

Mixed gas would also enhance a Truk dive trip as would CCR support for both I've heard is not easy to come by there. You dive with what you have if you can.

You can bet your last dollar if I was going to Truk I'd be carrying 4 PDC as well as some other backup items for that trip.

Ah, is that a desert island with no shop and no AA battery? Not even one for a radio? Love my Shearwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom