Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not sure what point your incoherent response is trying to make? That Irish children don’t know what tour buses are? That you don’t worry about properly checking tanks before filling them for strangers?

Regardless, it does not change the fact that - like it or not - boat diving with recreational operators requires one to have a computer in many parts of the world (can’t say all, but everywhere that I’ve been so far) - not sure why you are unable (or unwilling) to comprehend that very simple fact…
You just don’t get it, an operator requiring divers to have a computer is a rule they made up for whatever ever reason. Make more money most likely. Or line someone else’s pocket.

You just don’t get it, an operator requiring divers to have a computer is a rule they made up for whatever ever reason. Make more money most likely. Or line someone else’s pocket.
Actually you are the one that does not seem get it. If you’ve ever actually ventured out in the world, you’d realize what I am saying is the way it is.

You can disagree with it all you want, but it does not change the fact that most recreational dive operators require divers to use a computer if diving from their boats.

Their reasons are irrelevant as it’s their boat, so their rules (though I’d imagine it’s likely for liability reasons to help in minimizing divers getting into deco/dcs trouble - maybe even required by their insurance companies).

I know how to use tables, but unless you are diving purely square profiles, I see no advantage to using tables if you can afford a few hundred bucks for a computer. In fact, for the multilevel diving most of us recreational divers do, diving tables will greatly limit your bottom time or result in planned, but unnecessary deco stops.

It’s, of course, entirely up to each diver to decide what works for them - I choose to not be a Luddite and use readily available and proven modern technology to make my diving safer and less limiting. As an additional benefit, I’m able to dive in locations where you’d be left sitting ashore with your depth gauge, timer and dive tables. Lol.

People did all kinds of diving for decades before computers came along. So, are they "necessary"? No. Having said that, they make diving safer, extend bottom time, keep a log, etc., etc. They're great to have, so why wouldn't you dive with at least a basic one? Do you still use a Nextel flip phone? In fact, do you use anything from the 80s and 90s for anything other than pure nostalgic reasons? Likely not, because there's a better way to do things now. Technically you don't NEED any new tech, but why wouldn't you take advantage of the fact that we are living at the height of civilization and there are really good inexpensive options available? Either way. happy diving....with or without a computer. :)

Computers are required for safety and insurance reasons and to keep groups of divers on the same bottom time/dive schedule. People diving tables really screw up the boat schedule when they surface 30 minutes into a planned 55 minute dive. And many dive ops include a computer rental in their dive fees, or rent them for about $10/week. Not really a money making margin going on there.....But even if there were, if companies didn't make money, dive equipment and dive operations wouldn't exist. None of them.

As an additional benefit, I’m able to dive in locations where you’d be left sitting ashore with your depth gauge, timer and dive tables. Lol.
No you’re not, silly statement to make:

People did all kinds of diving for decades before computers came along. So, are they "necessary"? No. Having said that, they make diving safer, extend bottom time, keep a log, etc., etc. They're great to have, so why wouldn't you dive with at least a basic one? Do you still use a Nextel flip phone? In fact, do you use anything from the 80s and 90s for anything other than pure nostalgic reasons? Likely not, because there's a better way to do things now. Technically you don't NEED any new tech, but why wouldn't you take advantage of the fact that we are living at the height of civilization and there are really good inexpensive options available? Either way. happy diving....with or without a computer. :)
Why do you think you’re safer with a computer , I don’t get that one.

I cannot remember the last time that I dived with anyone insisted to use table only.
But I had dived/met many divers who simply could not understood what his/her computer was telling them. Some of them even have to ask around to set the computer before the 1st dive. Some of them could not understand why the damn thing wouldn't switch-on afterward. I am sure any DM should have plenty of stories on dive computer in the "wrong hand".

I am more than happy to dive with "Mac" than anyone telling me how great his/her computer is! Pity the Emerald Isle is 6000 miles(on air) away!!!!

Why do you think you’re safer, I don’t get that one.
Minimizes human error.
I've been diving since 1974. I was very happy to see the development of reliable computers and the demise of tables. No more second guessing myself at 80'.
Square profiles? Hmm.

Minimizes human error.
I've been diving since 1974. I was very happy to see the development of reliable computers and the demise of tables. No more second guessing myself at 80'.
Square profiles? Hmm.
Not sure what you mean by second guessing at 80’ but if you wish to use a computer that’s your business. I’ve never had a need for one. When someone tells me I need something I always wonder what they’re selling. Especially when they say I’m going to be safer.

Computers are required for safety and insurance reasons and to keep groups of divers on the same bottom time/dive schedule. People diving tables really screw up the boat schedule when they surface 30 minutes into a planned 55 minute dive. And many dive ops include a computer rental in their dive fees, or rent them for about $10/week. Not really a money making margin going on there.....But even if there were, if companies didn't make money, dive equipment and dive operations wouldn't exist. None of them.
What you really mean is if dive operators didn’t have computers to hand of to the tourist divers.90% of them would be unable to carry out the dive. Just follow the signs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom