Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’re misquoting me, I said any dive can be planned. I said I done multi level dives 40 years ago using 120 rule, no need to plan them. I challenged no one to produce a multi level dive done on a computer, what’s that about?
I used the "Wheel" to plan multi-level dives on a LoB in OZ before getting my first dc when returned home.
The boat policy was 18m only if used table unless....

If the bottom of the lake is at 20', you do not need computer, depth gauge, or timer. Well, except to ensure you ascend slowly....

If you need to know the depth and time, to be sure you did not get one or more of them wrong..., then a cheap computer may not be much more expensive and does more.

A while ago I was interested in a depth only gauge as a backup and was surprised at the prices.

I did dive for 44 years without a computer. Recreational only, although at the time the rec depth limit was 50m, and also "light deco" on air was allowed.
I made approximately 1000 dives this way and I did never feel the need of a computer.
But in 2019 both my depth gauge and my wife's one failed.
The choice was to buy two new ones or to switch to computers. I managed to buy two Cressi Leonardo on Amazon Prime Day for 99 eur each, so we made the switch.
I did find it not significantly better than using the old analog instruments, but fully usable and reasonably safe.
So I would suggest you to simply choose what you prefer. The cost of a low level computer, as our ones, is smaller than a depth meter plus a decent scuba-rated watch.

The origin of the discussion was that he said he could plan multi-level NDL dives easily using tables. He then said he had been planning multi-level NDL dives for 40 years using the rule of 120. He further challenged people to produce a multi-level dive done on a computer that he could not do with tables/rule of 120.

So I answered the challenge, and despite multiple attempts on my part to repeat the question, he has not met it.

Frankly, I think you have a hell of a nerve to come into a thread you haven't read, read a couple of posts, and then attack me by accusing me of creating a straw man argument.
I read all the posts. I think you are being a bit of an arse today though. You seem to be overcome with offence that mac64 disagrees with you. Really nobody REQUIRES a computer. It is a huge advantage but claiming any given dive cannot be done without is nonsense. Even now many people execute dive with offline planners and slates. Usually this is for deeper or longer dives with deco. The OP could do that. For the typical multi level reef following dive you cite that could be done too but is obviously more pain than generally worth while and requires a proper plan beyond jumping in and getting gradually shallower.

I suspect one could come up with some sort of ratios for this kind of thing, at least for "nice" multi-level profiles where you start at the deepest point and keep coming up. :whistling:

If we all get on the same boat together, I’m not sure we’d actually get underwater. We just might spend the whole trip bickering with each other while the new divers (this is the Explore Diving > Basic SCUBA sub forum after all) give up and muddle forward without the benefit of our great wisdom and mentorship.

Not sure if OP was asking in general or for the 4 upcoming dives.

I think if you intend to dive with someone using one, then you're socially-obligated to also use one.
You don't have to buy one. Most dive centers will let you rent one.

But socially-obligated because your table-based NDL will always be less than a real-time computer.

Do you want to be "that guy" having to ascend ahead of time because you don't want to use a computer?

Not sure if OP was asking in general or for the 4 upcoming dives.

I think if you intend to dive with someone using one, then you're socially-obligated to also use one.
You don't have to buy one. Most dive centers will let you rent one.

But socially-obligated because your table-based NDL will always be less than a real-time computer.

Do you want to be "that guy" having to ascend ahead of time because you don't want to use a computer?
What happens if 2 computers give different times are you socially obligated to get bent.

It sounds like the OP is just starting to dive. Has a few local dives he wants to do. Budget or supply issues are keeping him away from a dive computer. Wanting to dive, is a computer required? As stated many times, no. People dived for decades without a computer. It is more limiting, requires more operator skill in running a timer and depth gauge, but it can be done. Hopefully the OP was taught how to run a set of tables. For the 2 shallow dives a day the OP wants to do, just fine to use the tables and get real experience with them.

Long term, a computer is a very desirable piece of kit to own. You will want it. As you progress and get beyond the local spot you will find it very helpful.

So go enjoy your local dive spot. Run the tables, timer and depth gauge for now. But plan on eventually getting a computer. And as others stated, it might be more economical to just get a basic computer over a depth gauges and timer. But if the gear is just a rental for now, and it comes with a basic depth gauge, and you have a decent waterproof watch with timer. That is all you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom