Is a CO2 tank the same as a SCUBA tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking at a tank regulator product and it says it is for a CO2 tank. I'm wondering if the thing will work for a standard SCUBA tank too (i.e. is the valve threading/size the same)?

FWIW, the product is here: https://www.expeditionexchange.com/powertank/

Have to scroll down to get the listing for the regulator package by itself (without a tank), but here is the info:

Advanced Air Systems SuperFlow HPX Regulator Kit (REG-7000) $230
If you already own a CO2 tank and you don't want to dispose of it, the Advanced Air Systems SuperFlow HPX Regulator Kit gives you the onboard air capabilities of the Power Tank at a more affordable price. The SuperFlow HPX Regulator Kit features the newest, patented Power Tank SuperFlow HPX Regulator, which features heat fins machined into the body for improved performance in colder temperatures and an aluminum set screw collar to ensure a tight seal even in high-vibration applications. Each SuperFlow HPX Regulator pumps out a remarkable 31 cfm flow rate. Despite this unprecedented flow rate in a CO2 regulator, Advanced Air Systems guarantees that the SuperFlow HPX Regulator will never "freeze clog" as all other regulators will and backs it with a limited lifetime warranty. No other CO2 system can match this performance or warranty. Now you can get the performance of the newest Power Tank at a more affordable price. You supply the CO2 tank. This complete kit includes the new SuperFlow HPX regulator, Power Handle to protect the valve assembly, and the Durathane Ballistic Coil Hose.

This product looks like just what I need - if I can use it with a standard SCUBA tank.

Thanks!
ND

This is the just reg and does not come with a valve. So if you want to use a scuba cylinder you will need to put a CO2 valve on the cylinder. Which is a CGA 320 Valve for carbon dioxide, 1.125-16 UNF inlet threads. Scuba cylinders have .750-16 UNF-2A inlet threads.

That said there are some option for using in a scuba reg for a similar set up.

Why bother, I bet you can piece together the same thing for a lot less money using an old Scuba first stage and a low pressure port adaptor.

This is the just reg and does not come with a valve. So if you want to use a scuba cylinder you will need to put a CO2 valve on the cylinder. Which is a CGA 320 Valve for carbon dioxide, 1.125-16 UNF inlet threads. Scuba cylinders have .750-16 UNF-2A inlet threads.
I knew there would be a catch. If I understand your post correctly, then this device isn't going to work with a SCUBA valve, and I cannot simply screw a CO2 valve on to a SCUBA cylinder, because the thread are different? I also have to assume (because it would be too easy otherwise), that there isn't any kind of "adapter" to turn a SCUBA (DIN) valve connector into whatever a CO2 regulator is expecting?

Thanks!
ND

I made one for off-road use using a Conshelf first stage with an adapter to screw in a 1/8 NPT hose with an airchuck fitting at the end of the hose to attach air tools or tire inflator, etc. Make sure to add an overpressure relief valve on one of the ports in case of a first stage failure.
Not counting the tank I may have 40 bucks tied up into it. Handy item to have.

Thanks...but.....a man has got to know his limitations. I'm better off buying a stock solution than trying to rig something up. Trust me :)

That said there are some option for using in a scuba reg for a similar set up.

SCUBA cylinders have .750 NPS threads (untapered version of 3/4" pipe thread). The .750-16 UNF-2A inlet threads is a common Medical Oxygen thread.

A cheap SCUBA first stage with an OVP valve and the proper hose will do the air inflation from a standard SCUBA tank.

The advantage of using the CO2 tank and regulator is the CO2 tank holds more usable volume (if filled with CO2) for a given size tank because CO2 liquefies.

By the way, the CO2 regulator probably isn't rated for SCUBA tank pressures.

Ron, Thanks for catching my thread error - I was looking at air - and got O2.

I have a couple of CO2 regs which can probably handle 3000psi. Typically max though is in the 2000psi range. I would have to check when I am at home pouring a beer which what the CO2 is for.

Thanks...but.....a man has got to know his limitations. I'm better off buying a stock solution than trying to rig something up. Trust me :)

This is really pretty easy. They make a chuck that will attach to the BCD hose. From there you attach whatever you want. You can always to a hose supplier who can make one of these up for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom