Is a BW/Wings setup appropriate for instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,

What I mean by a learning curve is the ability to get the BP adjusted and change those adjustments for different exposure suits, getting used to the feel of the shoulder straps, and getting used to a crotch strap and 5 point harness rather than a friction based system.

I do not think of this learning curve as related to diver improvements. While a BP can fix bad trim, so will adjusting weights, tank position or using the trim pouches that come standard on most BC's today.

However, If I was in a class where the opportunity to try a BP was offered and I had not previously tried one, I would have tried it.

I do not see a difference in the learning curve with either a vest BC or a BP/wings BC.

While I prefer the vest, I see no reason why a BP/wings shouldn't be perfectly acceptable, I see no reason why a horse collar shouldn't be acceptable. All three systems are safe and do the job quite nicely.

Padipro,

"When I did my IDC we had a guy that was using an old Scuba Pro jacket style BC...........He had the most difficult time.........when he had to remove his gear..............he failed the IE for this very reason"

I use exactly such a BC and and ditch it as quickly as any other BC, faster than if I try to fiddle with "quick releases." I can be out of my BC in a fraction of a second. I suspect he failed, not because of his BC, but because of his incompetence with it.

Hi

I think an instructor should teach in his own gear, whether it be BP Wings or Jacket type BC.

During my training I was exposed to a number of different rigs, including Buddy jackets, Seaquest jackets, scubapro jackets. I didn't really notice them but DID notice when they looked tidy and professional and made decisions to buy based on a jacket type setup.

Helping an out of air diver was done with a standard octopus as well as occasionally on an Air2 type system. We just learnt that you should have a secondary reg in case of emergency and it could be secured in any number of ways hence the importance of a buddy check.

I recently changed to long hose and BP/wing and it has transformed my diving, honestly. The dive buddies in the club have been very interested and there has been no confusion whatsoever with pool work or open water stuff. At least I can now show that BOTH regs work unlike a lot of other systems where the Octopus is secured via the mouthpiece or in a pocket and isn't checked because its too much hassle to resecure it. It looks professional, clean and proficient, which is what dive kit should be and there are perfectly logical arguments for using it.

I believe you should teach variety so to enable the student to experience the same task a number of ways to absorb and learn properly.

I will use my BP and wing and long hose when teaching new divers, because I no longer think the jacket BC and octopus setup is as good, so why should I wear stuff that I don't feel happy with?

I have no intention of forcing my view on people but if they ask then I shall give them the reasons why I wear the kit I do.

Kindest Regards

Wetlettuce

Back
Top Bottom