Is 8mm tube equivalent to 5/16" tube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwindham

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to replace a tube which has some vibration damage in my k14 Bauer compressor, and I'm beginning to educate myself about all the strange fittings and tube sizes. A tube which I had originally misidentified as 5/16" is supposedly 8mm tube with VOSS hydraulic compression fittings. However when look for a replacement, I'm finding that 8mm stainless tubing is nothing short of ridiculously expensive ($130 for 6 feet of 8mm, versus $30 for 6 ft of 5/16).

Given a published manufacturing tolerance of +/- 0.1mm, this puts an 8mm tube between 0.3189" & 0.3110". 0.3125" (5/16) seems to fit comfortably within these limits. Can anybody see any faults in my logic? 5/16 tube is sooo much cheaper. Seems like the best scam ever to sell the same tube for almost 4x more. :)

No, they aren't the same. If you have no liability exposure, go ahead and use it. If this is in your dive shop, don't. $130 is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

It might be cheaper to order 8mm tubing from Europe...even with shipping it should b a LOT cheaper than $130!!!!! As for diameters, 8mm is .31496 giving a grand total of .00246 or .00123 difference per side compared to 5/16 (.3125"). I'm guessing that they don't hold that tight a tolerance on tubing. There are a few points where metric and imperial come VERY close and this happens to be one of them! Just my 2¢ and YMMV!

JohnnyO
------------
"What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

I don't know exactly what the specs are you need - but McMaster-Carr has stainless 8mm for 74.11 for 2M, Metric Type 316 SS Seamless Tubing 8 mm OD, 6 mm ID, 1 mm Wall, 2 Meter Length

McMaster-Carr

Browse the site and maybe you will find what you need at a reasonable price.

McMaster-Carr is a good source for lots of things - however if you look at the difference between 8.000MM and 5/16 (.3125) you can hardly see the difference .0025 - any compression or flared fitting is going to take up the difference
Jim Shelden

McMaster-Carr is a good source for lots of things - however if you look at the difference between 8.000MM and 5/16 (.3125) you can hardly see the difference .0025 - any compression or flared fitting is going to take up the difference
Jim Shelden
Frogman is correct. You can sub it for 8mm, I have done it many times but don't try it with the 1/4 and 6mm it is not the same.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom