IRDA for Windows 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not use Windows update!!!
Go in to [Control Panel]. You should have an Infrared Icon there.
If not, plug in IrDA dongle, go into [Device Manager]. You should see [Infrared Devices] (something like that).
If not, look for an icon that has indicates it does not have a driver. Could be in [USB].
Right click that > Follow instructions to [update driver].

That has worked for me recently when I was figuring out the issue with Win10-1903.

Yes, I did that for hours last night...attempting to update the driver via device manager...and got nowhere, really. Was hoping to get the right driver...and then install it.

Ah, OK, I will check that...for some reason, when I click on those links...I always get directed immediately to the home page, but this time, it stays long enough for me to click the downloads.

Thank you so much for your help and patience, fmerkel!!! I will try this out and let you know. Thank you and have a great day!!!!

Still cannot get it to work...the Ir dongle is pretty old and beat up....anyone got a link to getting a new generic one that is known to work with Uwatec/SmartTrak, pelase? :)

New bit of information. Loaded a fresh clean copy of Win10 Prox64_1909 on my PC. Did that because I'm running ver. 1803 and MS is going to get kind of insistent about upgrading. Figured I might as well do a big jump. Have not had a fresh copy of windows in years.I'm slowly adding programs and data as required. I keep a completely separate disk for most data.

Note-there's a few things about 1909 I do like a bit better, but mostly it's no big deal. I'd be just fine on an older copy.Don't feel compelled to upgrade just because MS is being pushy, if you can figure out how to NOT upgrade. There is plenty of info on the net if you Google it.

Smarttrak installed without a problem. Inserted 'silver bullet' IrDa dongle, same one I've been using for years. Came up as an [unknown device] in Device Manager. Right click > update drivers (from the net) > little wheel starts spinning and it simply stayed that way. Would not load or be recognized.
Did this:

To Install
Go to Settings -> Apps and Features -> Optional Features
Add a feature (top of list)
Select IrDA Infrared from the list.
It installs and should be visible in the Optional Features list.
Go back to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items and hopefully you will now see Infra Red icon and features.

That worked. Driver loaded, IrDa recognized in Device Manager. Connects to UWATEC Aladin 2G, downloads fine.

I'm still working on this...there appears to be a Win 10 update about 10 days ago that includes IrDA communications fixes.

Boom! It just worked.

I had to do the latest Win 10 install, 1909, released 11/12/19. [download, install, restart, etc]

Plug in my IrDA dongle...delete all drivers for it in device manager...then Scan for HW Changes [to let Windows install the driver]...restart Smartrak...and it worked!

Glad it worked! :cheers:
Not sure if something has improved in 1909 vs 1903 to make this go better. I had to struggle for a couple days with 1903, but with 1909 I already knew what I had to do, did it, and it worked, so did not seem a big issue. Had I not known......could have be a much bigger hassle.

Some threads said that Win 10 added Ir support in 1909...I could not verify it in the Win 10 update site at Microsoft...but...I truly did nothing different this time than I did with 1903...and it worked well. *shrugs*

I sure appreciate your willingness to support fmerkel...it was what kept me motivated to try again...even though I wanted to give up several times. You da man!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom