iPad for Scientific Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scientific divers at UCSC training with the Scientific Diver app

divenav_sdapp_ucsc_1_560.jpg

divenav_sdapp_ucsc_2_560.jpg

Learn more about the Scientific Diver app HERE

Reactions: RJP
Looks like a nice tool. Handling data manually can be pretty tedious.
Indeed.
This new system helps in at least 2 ways:

-1) Facilitates data entering during the dive as some info such as depth, dive time and temperature are entered automatically by the app

divenav_sd_survey1_560.jpg

2) After the dive the survey data is processed by the app and presented graphically to the user (and can also be exported it in a .csv file).

divenav_sd_survey3_560.jpg

Pretty cool, Alberto

How hard would it be to make it work for RVC instead of transect? NMFS uses cylinder counts in our neck of the woods, and short transects for NCRMP data. Do you do Caribbean fish and corals?

.... Do you do Caribbean fish and corals?
The SD app allows a diver to create a custom survey. We use EOL as source for species. See this post
I am pretty sure EOL does track Caribbean fish and corals.

How hard would it be to make it work for RVC instead of transect?...
I just had a look at the Report NPS/SFCN/NRR—2009/150 and it shouldn't be that difficult. A lot of things required by the RVC protocol are already included in the system (GPS, timer, maps, depth, temperature, camera, ....)
Having said that, we will need someone to work with us in defining / testing the app. (As an example, for the transect version of the SD app we are working with UCSC).

Depth? I don't know how deep a housed iPad works, our protocols are to 100 feet. Will the iPad camera work, as in, can we shoot a video transect and collate the data later?

I see a huge use for this as I have applied to take citizen scientists to Cuba specifically to perform fish counts and benthic surveys, as well as we have the contract to perform 20 days of fish counts per year in Dry Tortugas and the western Florida Keys. I can get you in touch with the guy who wrote the database program for SE NMFS lab, as well as the folks who do the NCRMP in Puerto Rico and the USVI. We have tossed our hat in the ring to provide these services in Curacao and Montserrat for a private foundation this fall also.

Short answer is, I have a potential for a lot of business to throw your way. We need to talk in a more intimate setting, like, at 281-300-4748.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2015 at 03:39 PM ----------

Just got off the phone with the RVC coordinator at NOAA. They are very interested in speaking with you. Before the 2015 field season starts.... Your phone number is hard to find. It's that whole marketing thing....

Depth? I don't know how deep a housed iPad works, ....
Our depth sensor is rated at 40m
The iDive housing is rated at 40m when using the CO2 cartridge and 100m when using first stage.

...Will the iPad camera work, as in, can we shoot a video transect and collate the data later? ...
Not sure what you mean ....
Right now (in the SDC app) we can correlate images to the dive profile so you can see when and at which depth you took them.

divenav_sdc_20150315.jpg

.... I can get you in touch with the guy who wrote the database program for SE NMFS lab, as well as the folks who do the NCRMP in Puerto Rico and the USVI. ...
That would be fantastic.

.... Your phone number is hard to find. It's that whole marketing thing....
Yes. I learned from the master :D

.... . We need to talk ...
Calling you right now

More testing of the Scientific Diver app by the UCSC dive team.

divenav_sdapp_ucsc_3_560.jpg

divenav_sdapp_ucsc_4_560.jpg

Learn more about the Scientific Diver app HERE

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom