IP Gauge Reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry this gauge in my toolbox. As long as the needle point is in the green & not creeping, I’m good to go.

0A52AEF1-E448-47B5-A93F-49795BE6209A.jpeg

Yes, strange green zone, realy high IP pressure, maybe a gauge for the Cyklon ?

Yes, strange green zone, realy high IP pressure, maybe a gauge for the Cyklon ?

I would guess the gauge was made for another purpose, and used in the IP gauge because it has the proper range. Either that or the manufacturer didn't read any reg specifications. Also gauges are most accurate in the middle area of their range, so if spec of the top spec of a reg ip was on the higher side of 200psi, I use a 300 max pressure on the gauge to be accurate.

Bob

I try to get my ip gauges to a shop and compare with what I hope is a calibrated standard once in awhile. At least I have some idea of the 'off set'. As suggested, mostly they are to get it in the ballpark and make sure it's stable/not creeping.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I recently purchased 10 inexpensive pressure gauges for use in a vintage IP gauge I make. I checked all of them against a digital pressure gauge and all were within 5 psi of each other and the digital gauge. No doubt there are some that are too far off but at least in the sample I had, they were pretty good. Well within the range of being fine for home use.

Hmm. I have Scubapro MK25/S600. I’ll check it next time I’m in a diving trip.

Mk 25 specification: 125-145 psi at both 300 and 3000 psi tank pressure, with no creep.
(IP will be a little different at the two extremes, but must fall within that range)
So "in the green" is probably too high for that gauge. But the key is no creep, as you stated. You can use just about any IP you like with the balanced S600. But having said that, I've once seen a linear crack in the S-wing poppet in a reg set that came with a first stage whose IP was way above spec.

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom