IP flutter on a sealed diaphragm 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greeniguana

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have an RG1208 that makes a vibrating sound when breathed and the IP does a wide ranging rapid vibrating flutter/oscillation between 110 and 170 PSI. It doesn't just drop 10psi and return. The IP when it's at rest is stable at 135

Any idea what the problem is? I took it apart to overhaul but I don't see anything. The seat face doesn't look different than any others I've done.

have you removed the diaphragm already and checked the valve lifter and body?

Yes. Nothing unusual. Right amount of lube, nothing missing. Diaphram in good shape.

no binding of the valve lifter or hp seat through their regular travel distances? if so, i would just go ahead with the rebuild and see if the behavior goes away

I would polish the shaft of the pin hat. That's the only place I can think where binding would allow IP to surge past the setting. The HP seat shaft is well lubed, and the pin doesn't make contact with anything in transit.

It is getting rebuild.

The pin hat stem and seat shift are in good shape and no movement restrictions

Rebuild fixed it. I think something was wrong with the HP seat face. It did not look the same as others I've replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom