Investing in gear and trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. A bit of an old thread to revive, but I wanna ask, is there a reason to get the matching XTX50 octopus instead of going for the cheaper XTX40 for the octopus?

I'd get a matching set especially when the price difference is very insignificant. Go with the XTX50 from the beginning. You can skip a meal or coffee and it will still be less expensive :)

If you are going with an XTX50 and XTX40, the 40 should be the primary. This allows you to de-tune the secondary to minimize freeflow risk, but when put in use, can be tuned for optimal breathing by turning the knob. The cost between the 40 and 50 is less than $20 IIRC and if you end up with a 40, you can easily add the adjustment knob later, but for $20 you may as well get it from the beginning.

They quoted $50 more where I am buying... The set was with XTX50 second stage and XTX40 octopus

I'd get a matching set especially when the price difference is very insignificant. Go with the XTX50 from the beginning. You can skip a meal or coffee and it will still be less expensive :)
$50 in a 'third world' (YMMV) country is more than a meal or a coffee. Hahaha. But if you guys think it's still worth the premium, I would not mind investing a bit extra

it's $20 USD retail for the difference, so unsure why they're charging $50 for it. Which country are you in?
I believe it’s because they are selling it as a set, and this breaks the set and I don’t get the promo.

I’m buying it online instead of locally in Malaysia due to the large price difference. Even at this price it’s still almost half the price than at my LDS

I finished my AOW last year and this year I'm planning to invest in some gear but need some advice. I prefer to buy good gear that lasts than entry level that will have to be replaced soon.

I am diving mainly in Iberia's Atlantic Coast (water temp: 14ºC - 18ºC; 57ºF - 64ºF), open water (no cave or wreck penetration diving), with diving in tropics (Thailand, Caribbean, etc), as well as planning colder water diving (such as Iceland and Vancouver Island).

The gear list I am considering:

- Mask: Cressi Nano (already have)
- Snorkel: cheap and bendable (to carry on BCD pocket - already have)
- Exposure suit: 3 mm shortie (tropics), 7 mm wetsuit with hood (Summer in Iberia) and dry suit (Spring and Autumn in Iberia, or colder water locations) - not planning to invest in a dry suit yet, so renting exposure suit depending on location / season
- BCD: renting for now as it is one of the bulkiest pieces (along with exposure suit); considering bw/p further down the road;
- Regulator: apeks mtx-r setup to be able to dive in any conditions (does this make sense or is it better to buy a cheaper option - if yes, which? - and rent in extreme conditions?)
- Gloves - Fourth element 5mm gloves to dive with wetsuit and drysuit
- Boots - Aqualung super zip ergo (should I buy warmer ones)?
- Fins - Dive rite XT (more on this below)
- Dive computer - Suunto Zoop Novo (already have: i'm diving air and nitrox and pretty happy with the computer as it covers all my needs, not planning to go tech further down the road)
- Compass - Suunto SK8 (already have)
- DSMB, spool and whistle (already have)
- Z-knife (already have)
- Diving knife (any suggestions?)
- Rubber weight belt and not padded mesh bag (already have)
- Secondary dive light: Scubapro Novalight 720R or 720 wide (mainly for day diving in low-viz or checking holes in walls)

What do you think of this gear set and how should I improve it?

I am using all the weight on the belt for now (4 kg - 8 lbs - in shorties, 8 kg - 16 lbs - in full 7 mm wetsuit, with hood, gloves and boots) and dealing with problems in trim - feet to heavy. As such, was planning to buy the Dive rite xt fins, instead of scubapro jetfins - less weight on feet and maybe move 4 lbs to tank pocket, when using a wetsuit, drysuit. Does this make sense or should I take another approach? (without buying a weight integrated BCD)

Thank you in advance.
Mask: black (so sunlight doesn’t reflect through the side and blind you) its incredibly annoying.
Exposure suit: how cold is it where you dive? I’ve heard very good things about Scubapro Nova Scotia, everflex and FE proteus 2.
BCD: get a bp/w if you can sooner rather than later. It’s much easier to don and not only puts you in better trim naturally but is also much more comfortable and clutter-free. Halcyon are best if you can afford and customer service is excellent.
Regs: there’s bo benefit getting the Apeks mtx r over the Apeks xtx50 package.
Gloves: I have 5mm gloves and regret the dexterity they offer. If I was buying again I would get really good 3mm FE ones maybe.
Boots: I have FE 7mm amphibian booties, they’re a bit expensive but able to walk on rocks with them without consequence carrying weight of double 12Ls.
Fins: really personally choice, many good ones like Hollis, Scubapro Jet fin, apeks etc.
dive computer: fine for what you’re doing. Don’t get integrated ones as too expensive and gimmicky.
Dsmb: closed preferably.
Knife: eezycut and small steak knife with square top in 2 inch webbing sheath.
Light: orca torch d520 I think is one that has 1000 lumens and tovatec fusion 1000 is good but you don’t really need more than one power setting.

Your weighting is decent but could probably drop by a kg.

Don’t take your dust cap into water.

Whatever you do I strongly suggest getting a backplate and wing setup instead of a traditional BC. If you go semi dri take a serious look at the Mares Isotherm 6.5 semi dri. Been diving one for years. After hundreds of dives i have had to patch here and there but never at the seams. Just wear areas... They are warm albeit a tad harder to get in and out of.

I have nothing new to add but wanted to second a few things others have mentioned. Get a full suit for warm water. You can say to yourself, " I'm never going to scrape my shin across the fire coral" and that's fine, but the boat ladder will probably get you. Or you'll trip and come down with your knee on a rock during a shore entry. At least the full suit adds a little bit of protection.

Also, in my opinion, everyone should have a 1 lb ankle weight for fine tuning their trim if necessary. It's amazing what one pound can do up on your tank neck, well away from your center of gravity.

Two years later, below my main conclusions of the gear I bought following the recommendations on this thread:

- Mask: Cressi Nano (already had), ended up being relegated to back-up mask, replaced by Halcyon H-view
- Exposure suit: chose Aqualung Sola FX (approved)
- BCD: ended up buying Apeks Black Ice (against recommendations), just sold it and bought a Tecline BPW (30 lbs) with a steel backplate
- Regulator: bought a XTX 200 + XTX 40 octupus + FSR first stage set (as I got them new with a significant discount - 400 euros total price), ended changing hoses to a primary donate config and added a fifth port to FSR for better routing (approved)
- Gloves - bought the Fourth element 5mm gloves (too thick, have not used a lot lately), replaced with very thin TUSA gloves
- Boots - Aqualung super zip ergo (approved)
- Fins - Deep 6 Eddy fins (as recommended in this thread, approved)

That’s an interesting and useful update for newer divers to see how a diving kit evolves over time and experience. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom