Investing in gear and trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I finished my AOW last year and this year I'm planning to invest in some gear but need some advice. I prefer to buy good gear that lasts than entry level that will have to be replaced soon.

I am diving mainly in Iberia's Atlantic Coast (water temp: 14ºC - 18ºC; 57ºF - 64ºF), open water (no cave or wreck penetration diving), with diving in tropics (Thailand, Caribbean, etc), as well as planning colder water diving (such as Iceland and Vancouver Island).

The gear list I am considering:

- Mask: Cressi Nano (already have)
- Snorkel: cheap and bendable (to carry on BCD pocket - already have)
- Exposure suit: 3 mm shortie (tropics), 7 mm wetsuit with hood (Summer in Iberia) and dry suit (Spring and Autumn in Iberia, or colder water locations) - not planning to invest in a dry suit yet, so renting exposure suit depending on location / season
- BCD: renting for now as it is one of the bulkiest pieces (along with exposure suit); considering bw/p further down the road;
- Regulator: apeks mtx-r setup to be able to dive in any conditions (does this make sense or is it better to buy a cheaper option - if yes, which? - and rent in extreme conditions?)
- Gloves - Fourth element 5mm gloves to dive with wetsuit and drysuit
- Boots - Aqualung super zip ergo (should I buy warmer ones)?
- Fins - Dive rite XT (more on this below)
- Dive computer - Suunto Zoop Novo (already have: i'm diving air and nitrox and pretty happy with the computer as it covers all my needs, not planning to go tech further down the road)
- Compass - Suunto SK8 (already have)
- DSMB, spool and whistle (already have)
- Z-knife (already have)
- Diving knife (any suggestions?)
- Rubber weight belt and not padded mesh bag (already have)
- Secondary dive light: Scubapro Novalight 720R or 720 wide (mainly for day diving in low-viz or checking holes in walls)

What do you think of this gear set and how should I improve it?

I am using all the weight on the belt for now (4 kg - 8 lbs - in shorties, 8 kg - 16 lbs - in full 7 mm wetsuit, with hood, gloves and boots) and dealing with problems in trim - feet to heavy. As such, was planning to buy the Dive rite xt fins, instead of scubapro jetfins - less weight on feet and maybe move 4 lbs to tank pocket, when using a wetsuit, drysuit. Does this make sense or should I take another approach? (without buying a weight integrated BCD)

Thank you in advance.

I would look at the Deep 6 Eddy fins and the Deep 6 regulators, they will dive anything and should save up a chunk of money for other items.

Reg- if you want apeks, buy the XTX50-DST combo and get a matching XTX50 for the octopus. Since considering bp/w in the future, set it up for primary donate, plenty of threads on that on here to look up. Deep6 regs also worth looking at
Knife-simple z-knives are fine
fins, I'd get the Deep6 fins. They travel better than the XT's because they're shorter and have a more comfortable foot pocket

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I am considering Deep 6 fins but delivery to Portugal is almost 80 bucks. Price escalates pretty fast!

Any inputs on the trim part of the question? Are 4 lbs too much in the tank pocket? How can I redistribute weight to lower torso without a weight integrated bcd?

I've had as much as 6 lbs total in trim pockets (3lbs x 2 pockets).

I would look at gear brands that are popular in your part of the world. Apeks is more affordable in Europe than in the US, from what I understand.

On trim, trim pockets, such as for tank bands, are the most flexible. You can also use ankle weights on the tank neck, but then you have to carry that weight with you on travel. Depending on the BC shoulder construction, you can also add weight there, either threaded or in a pocket. This way the weight has the most effect on trim, and reduces the tendency to turtle you, depending on if you use the front or back part of the shoulder area. How much you need depends on you and your gear.

Xsscuba has Velcro closing pockets, some of which also Velcro over the strap instead of threading. Anything attached just with Velcro you might back up by a bit of nylon line or bungee as well. Others make pockets that close with Velcro and a fastex, such as ScubaPro, these close more securely. Lots of weight in one pocket risks it failing and you losing buoyancy control. 3 to 4 pound is fine depending on the pocket.

A weight belt is a good thing for control of buoyancy in case you need to remove or adjust your BC underwater. So it seems unlikely that you need to distribute weight to the lower torso, but rather up the body. But if you do, lower tank bands or trim pockets on the BC belt could do that, but the later would seem to get very kludgy with rental BCs.

Definitely recommend BP/W, they are very adjustable to suit your needs. Also primary donate. And I dive recreational not technical.

Last edited:
An extra tank band (The aqualung one with the metal buckle is nice) that you can mount weight pouches on and shift up and down the tank is really useful for single tank. It's really nice for rental tanks, as it come off and on easily. But I'd go with 2 pockets and keep them against the BCD, not 1 giant pocket far from you on the rear of the tank.

If you can easily swim up from like 20 meters with no air in your BCD and all you weights then you don't need droppable weight. If you cannot easily do it then you do need to ensure you can easily drop enough lead that you can swim up. Pulling weights out of the pouches on your tank isn't easily, you need a weight belt or some other sort of easily accessible droppable weight.

Instead of the 3mm shorty, I would do the full. I know you probably don't need it for warmth, but I do really like it for protection from coral and stingers. Sometimes you bump into it accidentally, sometimes the current or surge throws you that way, or sometimes the stingers just come towards you. I hope it nevI would also add a lycra onesie if you want sun/stinger/reef protection but don't want any added buoyancy or warmth. The lycra onesies are pretty inexpensive enough. Another thing to consider is a hooded vest - I like these for travel diving. Back to back diving over multiple days or sudden thermoclines will make that a good "just in case you need it" option. You can throw it over your 3mm.

If you are also going to do a 7mm with hood, I suggest a semi-dry in the same thickness just because it minimizes water movement and will be warmer.

For the secondary light, I highly recommend Big Blue lights. Their AL1200NP is great. All of their lights are really nice, actually. User replaceable batteries, on off buttons, lumens and battery life as advertised and not that expensive relatively speaking.

Last edited:
- Regulator: apeks mtx-r setup to be able to dive in any conditions (does this make sense or is it better to buy a cheaper option - if yes, which? - and rent in extreme conditions?)

Another vote for the Apeks XTX50 with either DS4 or DST (if you really want a swivel turret on the 1st stage)

Note that the MTX-R 2nd stages are not as easy breathing as the XTX range. They have no Venturi adjust and no adjustment knob. Otherwise the MTX-R is the same body and same internal parts as the XTX50/200.

The internal parts of the MTX-R first stage are the same as a DS4/DST//FST etc.

In summary, the MTX-R doesn't necessarily buy you any performance improvements. It really is designed for extremely cold water 2c and below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom