Inverted pony hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
Point made. I've heard too many stories though of people with pony's back mounted that haven't checked them, needed them, found them to be empty, and then found that Murphy had taken over their dive.

That points to other more serious problems with those divers and nothing to do with the pony. Those same folks may well jump in with their primary tank turned off as well.

deadend:
That points to other more serious problems with those divers and nothing to do with the pony. Those same folks may well jump in with their promary tank turned off as well.

True, but a back mounted pony is not something to turn on an forget about. Most people that dive with pony's don't have confidence in their buddy's. If they don't have confidence in their buddy then they best be taking measures during their dive to repeatedly check the pony. The people that I know that dive this way, charge their pony's and don't think about them until 1) they need them or 2) when they reach the surface.

You can lead a pony to water, but you can't make it breath (got to do that one fer' yerself). :wink:

I try not to dive solo but when spearfishing often find myself alone such as when my buddy and I go diff. directions on a ledge or wreck. The pony is there for strictly emergency use only. A buddy is a great thing to have but not and end in itself. Back to the self sufficiency thing. While still sticking to the rule of thirds when diving deep, the pony is there in case of a rare entanglement in a spear line, shark prob., etc, that could cause a low air situation. I don't want to hear about doubles either. I ain't pushin' all that hardware around while spearing.:)

deadend:
I try not to dive solo but when spearfishing often find myself alone such as when my buddy and I go diff. directions on a ledge or wreck. The pony is there for strictly emergency use only. A buddy is a great thing to have but not and end in itself. Back to the self sufficiency thing. While still sticking to the rule of thirds when diving deep, the pony is there in case of a rare entanglement in a spear line, shark prob., etc, that could cause a low air situation. I don't want to hear about doubles either. I ain't pushin' all that hardware around while spearing.:)

You and your buddy seem to know that you will eventually separate when below, and you plan for it. Good luck in that first time situation where you find yourself entangled in a spear line, face a shark problem, etc, that could cause a low air situation. I assure you that your pony won't be enough...

BigboyDan:
You and your buddy seem to know that you will eventually separate when below, and you plan for it. Good luck in that first time situation where you find yourself entangled in a spear line, face a shark problem, etc, that could cause a low air situation. I assure you that your pony won't be enough...

If you say so. Do you speak from experience?

As I thought it would...this is turning into a buddy ...no buddy arguement. Can we..for once...just keep to the subject the poster enquired about???

Yeah but at least none of us have used the dreaded "S" word. :wink:

"s" ???

Dryglove:
"stroke" The infamous DIR term for a non safe diver :D

No, no, no, not nearly that pointed.

Don't make me say it. I don't want to be branded for life. It's such an evil term... please...... don't.....make....me.....say.....it.... . Well ok - sling.

Now I feel really bad that I'm second person to have to use it on this thread. I'm betting the higher ups will take away my infinite mod powers and I'll probably get a 5 day suspension for this. I'm sorry if the use of this terrible term and technique offends anyone. I'll admit it I'm a closet pony bottle wannabee user. I want to strap half a dozen onto my tank and be the biggest CF in the sea. :D

Come on guys I'm just kidding about the above. :eyebrow:

A pony has it's time and place. If you are going to use one, I do think it makes more sense to sling them, since you can see them at all times. It easily allows you to check your SPG and if there is an O ring failure then it becomes evident very quickly and you can take corrective measures right away. If it's on your back - it's out of sight out of mind. In another thread I posted that slinging a pony is good conditioning for deco dives or setting up stage bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom