Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LuvsTurtles

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Divers,

Greetings from the sweltering heat of Arizona. Yes, you can dive in Arizona (if you like cold dark lakes). Most of us venture down to the border and dive in the Sea of Cortez. Which I highly recommend if you haven't been yet.

I'm getting ready for a 10-day dive trip to St. Thomas in the USVI and will hopefully return with my advanced O/W.

I look forward to swapping dive tales and pictures.

Welcome to the boards.Is it a particular turtle that you are feeling romantically inclined to or are you an equal opportunity lover spreading your admiration to All the turtles of the world?
Do you dive at that set of lakes in arizona that keep getting used in the movies? The ones with the big white rocks?
Hope the trip goes well.
Cheers Big Ears,
The one and only Gasman.

I have only been diving in one of our "lakes" - Saguaro. I'm not sure which lake they use for the movie settings.

I have a special fondness for green turtles and hawksbills but I love them all (even the un-evolved ones that are content to be land-lubbers).

Welcome to the board from Melbourne, FL. I'll be taking a hour drive south to Ft. Pierce, Pepper Park to do a beach dive on Saturday. Never dove there before, but my best buddy has.

Welcome from the "Diving Mecca of the World" Oklahoma that is. Great to have you around.
Was at the Sea of Cortez just last month, great diving and Cabo San Lucas is a great town.

ID

ID,

"Diving Mecca of the World" ???

Would that be the horses watering bucket or the above ground, inflatable kiddies pool you bought?

hehe

=-)

Haven't made it to Cabo-Wabo yet. Usually dive out of the little town of San Carlos. It's a great place to really experience small town Mexico. Everyone is really friendly and you would never guess there is a Club Med just over the "Goat Tit" mountain (San Carlos' claim to fame). They filmed parts of the movie "From Here to Eternity" near the Club Med beach. We usually stay at one of the local hotels (Best Western or Plaza las Glorias). Great local food, cheap beer and a boat captain who makes the best fresh fish tacos hot off the grill when you come up after that last dive of the day....can't wait until August!

Luv Turtles,

Where is San Carlos? I have been toying with the idea of driving down from LA to Puerto Penasco. Are they close to each other?

Also, what is the vis and water temp in that area?

Hi socaldiver,

From Penasco, head south to Hermosillo and take the road to Guaymas, you will see a sign for San Carlos from there. It's about a 3-hour drive from Nogales. There is one "official" check point near Hermosillo but you might run into one of the unofficial stops which are easy to handle by offering the wanna-be federales a couple of bucks.

You can also find reasonable airfare to Guaymas and then take a bus/taxi to San Carlos (about $30 for the taxi).

Let me know about the diving in Penasco.

Vis and temp at San Carlos varies with seasons. The winter is the best vis but the water is a little cooler (around 70 degrees). In the summer, the water is great (82) and the vis is about 30 feet unless a monsoon starts stirring up the bottom and then it drops to about 10.

There are some great swim throughs, sea lions, sea horses and octos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom