Introducing Nemo the Cat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been almost a week since Nemo joined our family and she's making her position well known...spoiled rotten kitten-child! She's doing very well, although I would have liked for someone to clue me in to the fact that cats don't take pills like dogs do! :wink:

She also enjoys Scubaboard. It takes me twice as long to read the board now because she's reading it with me.

See what I mean!

aao.sized.jpg

Reading this thread and seeing the pictures of Nemo really made me smile (and almost cry!), hearing about wonderful people doing wonderful things! Thanks Dee, she's a cutie!

Looks like she's after that parrot. And, oh yea, cats DO NOT take pills well at all.

AliKat once bubbled...
Looks like she's after that parrot. And, oh yea, cats DO NOT take pills well at all.

As a longtime catlover and homeprovider to many a stray, I can attest that there seems to be only one reliable method of giving a cat a pill. It's best to have a vet or Vet assistant demonstrate this.

Holding the cat gently but securely, gently but firmly (mindful of the size of the cat!) press the jaw hinges with the thumb and first finger of one hand, forcing the mouth to stay open, and, with the pill on tip of the first finger of the other hand, carefully aim and push/lob the pill down the cat's throat, doing your best to avoid contacting the mucus mebranes at the back of the mouth.

It sounds awful, but is actually the best, and only way with most cats, and gets easier on both you and the cat with practice. (Thank god that our --adopted stray--shepherd/collie/husky cross gulps down food quickly enough to hide pills in it: would hate to have to get past those teeth!)

erichK once bubbled...
...Holding the cat gently but securely, gently but firmly (mindful of the size of the cat!) press the jaw hinges with the thumb and first finger of one hand, forcing the mouth to stay open, and, with the pill on tip of the first finger of the other hand, carefully aim and push/lob the pill down the cat's throat, doing your best to avoid contacting the mucus mebranes at the back of the mouth.
Erich...that's the technique I used. At least that was the intention! It was the puch down the throat where things went to hell...must have been that membrane thing you mentioned. When my finger got to the back of her throat, her back feet went into action raked the skin off the inside of my forearm and the pointy little saber sharp teeth penetrate the fingernail on top and the skin underneath the tip of my forefinger!

The vet has this nifty little plunger thing he uses! I found an alternative method. Crush pill and put in food works very well. :wink:

around year ago, there were 3 small kittens below my building... one of them was blind... the bottom one on the attached picture....

around august last year, i took him of course, and now there were two cats at my home...

this January, he had to undergone an eye surgery.... oh yeah... his name is Steve.....
after surgey, he was looking like Frankenstein, stiches in his eyes, his forehead shaved,....

Back
Top Bottom