Intova Edge X Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
EDIT: I spoke with Intova about the issues I was having with the camera, and Jasmine offered to send me a replacement even though ours was lost during the trip. I certainly did not expect them to replace a malfunctioning camera that was lost, but they are going above and beyond. I will update this review again after I have had a chance to dive with the new camera. Thanks Intova!

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Cozumel for some diving. I wanted to get a decent camera for the trip and chose the Intova Edge X based on reviews and cost. We tested it prior to departing and all worked fine. Upon arriving in Cozumel we took it out on our first dive at Palencar Reef. As Murphy would desire, the camera didn't work at first. When we started the camera it failed to boot up fully. After trying many different things, it appeared that they only way to get it to boot up was to remove the memory card. Once the camera was booted up, I could insert the card and then close camera, and take it underwater. I finished the dives that day and then contacted Intova in Hawaii with my issues. Jasmine at Intova was quick to respond, and said that she would have an engineer contact me.

On the second day we took it out again and tried with the same results. No go with the card inserted, but once the card was inserted, it worked fine. Video and pictures looked nice, but still frustrating to have to open the camera every time we wanted to start filming. Once it was started on the boat, I had to leave the camera on throughout the dive as I obviously could not open it up to restart it underwater.

That evening Jasmine said that the engineer thought that the camera must not like that particular memory card, and to try another. Unfortunately we did not have another card, and did not know of anywhere to purchase one in the evening in Cozumel, so we did not get a chance to try that.

On day 3 the camera still functioned the same, but the lens fogged up for some reason. Took it back to the hotel after the dive and tried to clear the fogging by leaving in the sun. It seemed to work, and we looked forward to day 4 of diving.

Jasmine at Intova had offered to send a replacement camera to us in Cozumel, but since our trip was getting to the end we decided it didn't make sense to send one to Cozumel.

On day 4 the camera seemed to be working again with no fogging, but unfortunately we lost the camera on this dive. While surfacing for our safety stop my wife was ascending too rapidly and I reached up and grabbed her foot to arrest her ascent. I was able to get her pulled back down for our safety stop, but in the process the camera somehow came free of my vest and floated away without our noticing it. Unfortunately this means no replacement camera for me. :-(

Overall, I would have to say that I am not sure that I can give a recommendation to buy this camera. If it had worked as advertised with no boot issues I think we would have recommended it. It may have been a one in a million problem with just this particular camera, but since we lost it and don't have another I won't be able to make that determination. It took nice photos and the video was very clear with very little distortion. For the money it seemed a great buy. Without being able to test another I doubt I will take a chance on buying another. It looks like we are back to the drawing board in search of another camera.

Last edited:
When I first tried the Intova X I had a similar issue. The camera would not turn on during its first dive. Intova replaced it at no charge. The second one worked great, but fogged up and would not clear. Intova also replaced it at no charge. The third one has been working great. I do like the files it creates - a large one with good HD video, and a small one for streaming to a phone or tablet. The audio is very good underwater, much better than my GoPro or CGX2. The battery life is about the same as the GoPro. The battery life in cold water, much like GoPro, is not that great.

I had an Intova Edge X also, they are great at replacing the camera with issues but you don't need to be replacing them all the time. I had similar issues, the functions wouldn't toggle between the video and camera, happened on all 3 I had, like you kept sending it back, good for what it is but I moved on to a Canon G7X mk2 and Fantasea housing. Another thing to watch out for is the tag on the Intova battery is so long trim it or be careful it doesn't hang out when you close it up or you'll have a very flooded camera..

Back
Top Bottom