Into the Lions Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollywoodivers

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, Studio City, Near Universal Studios..
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The Book, Into The Lions Mouth, by Michael Smart.
Review by Hal Wells of Hollywood Divers This chilling account of how the diving technology and political attitudes of the 1970s needlessly and viciously used hardworking divers up and spit these workers into the sea.
The British National Oil Corporation and other supporting Corporations were in a race to provide the Mother Land with the quickest fix during the 1970's OPEC crude price hikes and embargoes.
This commercial diving drama unfolded for years, claiming the lives of many honest and hardworking hardhat saturation divers. While working at a depth of 500 feet deep on the Thistle oil fields SALM tanker head, two American divers become stranded on the bottom without heat or communications and await rescue. The rescue was delayed due to financial decisions and political wrangling onboard the surface support vessel, " The Wildrake".
The accident set a new precedent in how commercial diving equipment and safety regulations were to be used in the coming years. This book is only available through the authors publishing company, Lions Mouth Publishing. The book is thick and heavy and is easy to read with medium size print and glossy pages. Into the Lions mouth is for all people who are interested in the Commercial diving industry or the history of the modern tech age. I ordered the book for reading during a dive vacation.
I found it too horrifying to read with dives looming. I rate this book as 7.5 stars out of 10.

Probably the best book written to date on the hazards of saturation diving, in an era when things were not always done as they should be. I started commercial dive school in 1979 - the same year this tragedy occurred. I'm sure I benefitted from the awful lessons learned that day.

Regards,
DSD

Back
Top Bottom