Interpreting Coastal Forecasts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I need a tutorial on relating NOAA swell, wave and weather forecasts to actual diving conditions for the Monterey coast area.

I assume that high North winds and big swells are bad. I need to understand what numbers correspond to "high" and "big". Understanding combinations of wind and wave conditions with wind direction would be very helpful.

Great references guys, thanks. I don't know how I missed Chuck's, I have other sections of his site bookmarked.

Looks like the short answer to my question is swell <= 10 feet = acceptable diivng.

Is there any seasonality to the swell and waves? I know the water temp doesn't vary much.

Great references guys, thanks. I don't know how I missed Chuck's, I have other sections of his site bookmarked.

Looks like the short answer to my question is swell <= 10 feet = acceptable diivng.

Direction is important. If it's a 10' NW swell, I stay home,
but I'd go 12' SW swell (which is really rare).

Is there any seasonality to the swell and waves? I know the water temp doesn't vary much.
Water temp (and indirectly clarity) can vary with the wind direction. This web site shows the temp vs wind effect.
MBARI - M1 Contour CTD string Metsys plot - last 30 days
The wind (when blowing in the right direction) causes upwelling, bringing up cold water laden with nutrients which plankton like they will bloom if the sun is bright.

Ben

How you interpret swell and wind waves? Do you add the two figures together for total wave height or is there a more subtle interaction?

TODAY
SE 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 6 FT.
W SWELL 8 TO 10 FT AT 12 SECONDS. CHANCE OF RAIN.

TONIGHT
W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 4 FT.
W SWELL 7 TO 9 FT AT 12 SECONDS. CHANCE OF RAIN.

SUN
S WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 8 FT.
W SWELL 7 TO 9 FT AT 12 SECONDS. RAIN.

SUN NIGHT
S WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 7 FT.
W SWELL 9 TO 11 FT. RAIN.

What's that the forecast for? It's not Monterey (I log the Monterey offshore
forecasts, and the Monterey Bay forecast will be smaller).

The wind waves and swells add up, but they have different effects. Wind
waves make for a nasty surface swim or small boat ride, but don't effect
the diving much. Swells affect the surface swim and small boat ride
a bit, but mostly create surge on the bottom and surf for beach entries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom