Interpreting Coastal Forecasts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diveable / not diveable threshold is really a personal matter. For someone like Chuck who's been diving for a long time and lives moderately close (bit over an hour each way?) is going to have a different threshold from someone who has been diving for a relatively short amount of time and lives 3+ hours away.

When I look at the navy models I first look to see how much orange and red. Yellow I can live with. I then look at the direction. Then I look at a few days worth to get a general idea of how things are moving on the big scale (like is the weather looking like it is getting better or worse).

I then make my decision to go down or not. If I go down I'll start observing the water as soon as I see it. Once at the site you just have to observe. If it looks good gear up and go. If you get down and it is crap then come back up and get out. Then go get some clam chowder and beer :D

The diveable / not diveable threshold is really a personal matter. For someone like Chuck who's been diving for a long time and lives moderately close (bit over an hour each way?) is going to have a different threshold from someone who has been diving for a relatively short amount of time and lives 3+ hours away.

52 minutes from my house to the breakwater, towing my boat
(lower speed limit with the trailer).

But there's other factors. Linda and I are photographers, and
surge makes photography really sporty. And I need a certain
number of weekend days at home for "house stuff". So I don't
feel too bad about missing a day of diving, at least until it gets
to be five weekends in a row (that's happened). I still get wet
about 70 days a year. And those who have other interests (or
non-diving SO) may want to really cherry-pick their days.

Nothing beats looking at conditions with the Mark I eyeball, and
walking away when it's appropriate. I called the second dive
Sunday after we'd dropped the hook because things were
deteriorating fast.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there STILL is not a live webcam on the breakwater. That would be great for us 3hr drivers. I'd even donate all the HW if Glen's would host the site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom