Internet Purchases?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When your new LDS goes out of business as a result of being undercut by internet sales, I hope you can find another LDS.

Warning: :hijack:

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. My FIRST LDS sucked and had terrible prices (which I think it probably common among a lot of brick and mortar LDS). They threw a little hissy fit after I bought the Pro Plus 2 online, then a month later I had another issue with them and have not been back to the shop since.

This fall a new dive shop opened (info in the sig line) and they are amazing. I don't have to ask if they price match the internet because their prices are the same or lower than I find on internet stores. Since they opened I have bought an oceanic delta IV, FDX 10, Alpha 8, Shernood Solaris, and am about to buy Sea & Sea YS 27 strobe. I have also bought a few things from brands they don't carry...and guess what, they don't care! They are big boys and girls that don't really feel threatened by a little outside competition. They have great customer service and know that I'll be back.

If LDSs' just got a clue and stopped jacking up the prices on everything, I think they wouldn't be so scared of the big bad Internet stores. But thanks for your concern about the survival of my little ol' LDS.

Hijack over

When your new LDS goes out of business as a result of being undercut by internet sales, I hope you can find another LDS.

I agree. Continue to prop up your LDS regardless of whether they do anything to deserve it or not! Believe everything the tell you, only consider products they offer and most certainly pay full retail for those products.

Sorry, but that's crap and if you do so you're doing a disservice to your LDS. Certainly give them a shot (as the original quoted post stated) and see what happens. You may find a gem of a store that can suit your needs for the rest of your diving career. OR You may get an attitude or a no way. In either of those cases you're better off buying elsewhere and trying to help by informing them why. How else will they evolve and be able to compete in this brave new world with GASP the internet! How else will the discover the need to provide better service, to differentiate.

To me it's the same f'ing argument as "buy American" was w/ cars in the 70's. Sure, prop up a dysfunctional auto industry and continue to be spoon fed crap instead of sending them a wake up call so that in the long run we are all better off. It does them no good to allow them to exist with their heads buried in the sand.

I have been told that if I buy something from a dealer on the internet, it could nulify the warranty of thet item. Is this true? I am looking to purchase a dive computer ( the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 ) and have found that I could save money by buying it on-line.

You can have it both ways, since Scubatoys (w/factory warranty) will gladly match the Leisure Pro (w/o factory warranty) price. They recently did this for me when I bought an Aeris Atmos AI--which, by the way, is made by Oceanic and is the exactly the same computer as the PP2, except that it is much more compact. Only 4 dives on it so far, but I love it.

I fully support using your LDS...as long as they fully support you and don't treat you like you are a fool. That includes brand selection and price matching...or at least getting into a reasonable ballpark.

I went to find an LDS in the area where I used to live to buy a Delta VR3 dive computer, I could not. Of course I did get the song and dance around why brand x is a "better deal" (despite the fact it would not handle trimix). I think there are dive shops that go the extra mile, but I think there are those that have lost focus other than their own self-interest. I will stick by an LDS who is willing to work with me, but I will drop an LDS like a bad habit who treats me as someone who is totally ignorant, even when they have evidence to the contrary.

Same goes for internet dealers...I have dealt with ScubaToys (AAA+++ in my book), Dive Rite (again...great dealings) and Scuba.com. I have an order in right now with scuba.com I am just about ready to cancel because they keep telling me "it will be in next week" and I have been hearing that now for nearly 3 weeks.

Since I live about 3 hours from NYC I have shopped at Leisure Pro a number of times. They always have lots of the latest gear at great prices with good service. I have also been in the LA area a fair amount this past year. I visited the scuba.com store and found a big full service store with lots of brands and a friendly staff. The local stores in my area are still copping attitude about buying on the internet. They talk about no warranty and all the other usual stuff. I just get my tanks filled, walk out and buy online.

I think our area is oversaturated with LDS's .... Not a difficult problem, even in the cold climate of Michigan.

If your LDS goes out of business it is because they didn't offer enough incentives to attract a solid customer base. Not because of internet sales undercutting them.
Incentives aren't only price but also include training, selection, trips and conveinience just to name a few.
I'm sorry if your LDS calles it quits but there are plenty out there that have solid businesses going without relying on whining and deception. Many of them do match internet pricing.

Sorry for the temporary thread hijack.

Most dive shops will match the prices of other authorized dealers. In fact most business will. A friend of mine brings tire prices fro tirerack.com to seers, and they match the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom