International Legends of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Portage Quarry Recreation Club
Presents
Internation Legends
of Diving

Featuring
Bob Meistell
Holder of certification card #1
from L.A. County also known
as a wet suit pioneer and
founder of Body Glove.

Dottie Frazier
She is recognized as the first
female Scuba Instructor in
the United States. She was
also the first woman in the
world to own and operate a
dive shop.

Bob Croft
Navy Diver and World Free
Diving Record Holder

Alec Peirce
Largest Sea Hunt
Memorabilia Collector​

Tickets on sale at Portage Quarry for $20.00 and this includes your chance to win with over $10,000 in prizes including Trips and Gear. Check out the websites for details on the 2 trips and the rest of the prizes that will be given away. Weather is always nice so dont for get to pack your coolers full just remember NO GLASS! NO KEGS! NO PETS! Camping is available and as always parking is free here at the Portage Quarry

I have attended this event for the past two years and it's a great way to spend a weekend of diving and meet Legends as well as fellow divers. Lots of prizes were given away!

Pinkfins - I plan on attending Legends of Diving at Portage this year. Thanks for the information on Chris Guglielmo's Underwater Photography class. I'll try to register for that weekend as it does sound like a once in a lifetime opportunity - especially for an "old gal" like myself. :)

Hello, I am a new diver from Columbus, OH and was going to make a trip up to the Legends. Can someone tell me what to expect? I am looking forward to going, but just not too sure what will be going on. I most likely will not be able to make it till Sunday. Thanks for any insight.

I just wanted to mention what a great time I had at the international legends of diving at Portage. I got to tent camp and dive over a period of three days there, after driving up from Savannah, Georgia. The staff is super nice, the air fills are never short, and there are plenty of things to see underwater. Jeff Rice, the owner (and fellow veteran) was a very gracious host, and he made sure that we all got to meet Dottie Frazier and Bob Meistrell (both of whom signed my logbook!). I will be coming back again next year.

I would like to thank Portage Quarry, Jeff Rice and the staff for hosting the Legends event. It is great to be able to talk with the Legends and hear their stories. Quarry had 25 to 50+ feet of visibility depending where you were. It is always fun to see what others bring to sell and to dive with. I tried 3 new regs out of the collection just to see how they would work. I survived all. Polish Kaiman, Drager PA-61 and a fresh, rebuilt Treiste II. I also dove my DA Kawasaki, Voit FX with Spiro mistral guts, USD Riveted black label, and Blue label Trade-Mark. A special thanks goes to Sea Hunt Jerry for re-working a set of triples I bought and he delivered to me. They worked great with a new harness installed by Allan. What a great and talented group of vintage equipment divers we have. Last, but not least, thanks to Bryan from vintagedoublehose dot com for all the great parts he produces for us.

Portage Quarry does a real nice job providing a look at vintage divers and legends of the sport. This year was no exception. The visibility of the quarry was excellent early in the weekend with distances of 50' common. Here are a couple of photos showing both vintage equipped divers and a modern diver exploring of the features of the quarry. Portage is one of the better diving parks in OH.
Planeforsb.jpg

Canonforsb.jpg

Jeff runs a first class operation, and he does an outstanding job of organizing the Legends of Diving event. I have attended all four of them, and am looking forward to future vintage affairs.

P1010047.jpg
[/IMG]

P1010055.jpg

P1010217.jpg

P1010256.jpg

Greg Barlow

Ok, Portage Legends is in the books. Jeff Rice and the employees of Portage did a fantastic job. The giveaways from the various organizations such as Vintage Double Hose and Scuba 2000 were top notch. In fact my Mermaid won some brand new Cressi single hose regs donated to the Legends event by Scuba 2000. Another VERY lucky lady won a totally tricked out USD Mistral donated by VintageDoubleHose.com. VDH also had tons of giveaways from save a dive kit scissors to screwdriver sets and beer cozies. Jeff also provided the divers another one of his world famous “Whole Half a Chicken Dinners!” on both Saturday and Sunday! Let me tell you that is one fine whole half a chicken.

The quarry conditions were without a doubt the best I have ever seen in a quarry. The visibility was at least 40 feet maybe 50 plus! I was able to see for the first time from the Hanza to the mirror. Don’t take my word for it check out the video that Karl posted on youtube. The water was a warm 75 degrees above the thermo cline at 24 feet. I was diving in a 3mm and not cold at all. The 2 hose divers had the single outnumbered big time and the Portage staff was very vintage friendly as always.
We had a lot of the regulars like Gary Reece, Gayle Peterson, Luis, Christine, Barb, Greg Barlow, Ron Sivoda, Roger VanFrankooooooo, Jerry Lang, Karl, Bryan, Teri Stevenson, and Allan. We also had a bunch of new faces Like Eva Colon, George Fee and his wife Lilia, Scott, Dave and his wife Helen, and many more that I am forgetting right now, Sorry. The excitement was palpable and infectious. A lot of horse trading went on between dives for tanks, gauges, regs, and dare I say T Shirts and hoodies.
The equipment was varied and exciting as well. Karl stole the show with regs from every continent I think. I dived the Broxton for the first 4 dives, as it seemed only right with the new triples. Later I donned the FX and put the 1st prototype I dived in the Bahamas through its paces. Barb dived several FX 50 Fathoms and said the Blue case is still her favorite. George Fee was seen diving a super sweet Over Pressure that he had rebuilt by VDH recently as well as a PRAM he picked up from the RVF collection. Allan was slithering though the water with a nice green labeled Voit as well as a gorgeous FX 50 Fathom. Greg also seemed to be a big FX diver, but it was hard to tell as he was under the water more than on the surface. Ron and Bryan both dived the heck out of their brand new vintage dry suits and they seemed to be leak free, but one of them cannot say they stayed “DRY!” I will let the diver explain that one. There were 4 sets of triples at the quarry; mine were the coolest, but 4 sets nonetheless. It was quite a sight to behold to see Jerry, Karl, Bryan and me marching to the water with the coolest tank set ups ever made. The only other set of tanks that may be nearly as cool would be Gary Reece’s concave bottom Rene twins. Speaking of Gary, he had a sweet video housing and was cool enough to let me shoot some video of the divers. Gary is a really good video subject since he is one well dressed vintage diver with his Sea Hunt silver suit. A lot of video was taken of Barb as well with her flowered cap, which is becoming quite a fashion statement. Eva seemed to like the RAM and looked UBER nice in her slick skin Spiros suit. Christine attacked me on one dive and stole my watermelon, destined for the shark dart. I think she was objecting to the fate that she knew was to become it. Eventually 5 or 6 divers overpowered her and reclaimed the melon and the shark darting continued. All told 3 melons met their demised at the point of the mighty shark dart. At one of the melon massacres several divers snacked on the flesh of the melon carcass. After Gayle and I had our fill of melon flesh we took turns wearing the melon shell on our heads in a ritualistic scuba dance. Luis fed the fish at the silo with car cheese as the video was rolling. I doubt that you will be able to make him for all the fish in the way.
The legends were awesome as usual. I don’t know how Jeff gets them to all come every year. We have been so blessed to have join us at Portage every year. Body Glove Bob Meistriel was a really great guy. This was the first time a lot of us had ever met him. After seeing Eva, Barb and others in the beaver tail twist lock suits, Bob was heard to say that Body Glove may need to make these available in the catalog. He probably should not have said that for afterwards he had a train us following him around with our measurements. How great would that be if we could get these suits made by the Body Glove!
Dottie Frazier was all over the quarry and full of energy. She is a true peach and was more than willing to spend time with all of us. I know that Barb will treasure the picture they took together, which Dottie autographed graciously.
Bob Croft, gave another outstanding presentation to the crowd on Saturday night ending with the showing of the Kuralt special “Dive into the Unknown” chronicling Bob’s record breaking free dive to 240 feet in 1968. After the film Bob answered questions where he stated he smoked 4 packs of cigarettes a day at that time!
Thanks again Jeff and Employess of Portage Quarry for putting on a top notch event. I for one will be looking forward to next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom