Pauline Ady: Underwater and sky diving legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Wilson

Contributor
Reaction score
Rowena Kerr was not the only British female diving pioneer. Pauline Ady's underwater swimming exploits began even earlier than Kerr’s. She too managed to excel in the water while her main occupation was unrelated to sub-aqua pursuits.

Pauline Ady was "a physiotherapist from Teddington who was a professional scuba diver and was learning to sky dive", to quote the Science Museum Group website at Photographs of Pauline Ady (Physiotherapist - Underwater swimming) | Science Museum Group Collection.

During the early 1950s, Ady was the first learner to enrol when a diving school with little in the way of equipment was founded at Laughing Water Lake in Cobham, a village six miles southeast of Gravesend in the English county of Kent. By the following week, she found herself instructing other learners.

On 4 January 1954, British Pathé issued a short film entitled "Girl Diver" showing Ady "being helped into diving equipment by two men. She wears a silver diving suit plus flippers, oxygen canisters and helmet. She is helped into the water of Laughing Water Lake and one of the men stands in the water beside her as she dives". The film can be viewed online at

1658476491477.png
Two historical photographs, now also online, show Ady delivering diving lessons. The picture above is captioned "28th April 1954: Pauline Ady, a tutor at an underwater swimming school in Cobham, Kent, explaining the importance and use of fins to her pupils". Accompanying the snapshot below are the words "5th May 1954: Instructor Pauline Ady, (left), coaching a ten-year-old pupil at an underwater swimming school at Laughing Water, Cobham, Kent".
1658476593544.png

Later the same year, Ady appeared in the film still below, which is captioned "Frogmen aid geologists in seabed search -- Miss Pauline Ady, a young physiotherapist and a keen underwater fisher, is towed by the boat as she searches the seabed for a glimpse of the rock. She is wearing a special breathing tube. Frogmen of the London Sub Aqua Club are aiding geologists in the search for a 50 million year old rock. Led by Mr. Jim Phoenix, the party of divers has been exploring the seabed off Pagham, near Bognor, in the hope of making the important geological discovery. They are seeking the mother rock from which a pebble, now in South Kensington (London) Museum, is believed to have originated. August 17, 1954". The still is from the silent film "Aqua Divers" (1954), which can be viewed at
1658476682125.png

At the opening of the London Boat Show on 30 December 1954 in Olympia, Ady found herself immersed in a huge water tank with a spectators' viewing window, taking it easy and eating bananas underwater. News of the stunt spread across the Atlantic, where the story was syndicated during the early months of 1955 in several local States-side newspapers, for example the Nebraska Plattsmouth Journal below:
1658476755915.png

On 15 February 1955, Kingston Sub-Aqua Club was formed at an inaugural meeting held at the Y.M.C.A. Eden St. Kingston. The meeting was opened by Pauline Ady and addressed by Oscar Gugen, who co-founded and then chaired the British Sub-Aqua Club.

British Pathé issued another film starring Ady with others at Kingston Baths on 2 January 1956. This short was entitled "Underwater Party" and featured "quirky stuff of people eating and drinking underwater at a party in a swimming pool". It is viewable online at
.​

The 30 January 1959 issue of the Nottingham Evening Post included the picture below of a then 29-year-old Ady instructing beginners in underwater swimming at Ilford Baths.
1658476838186.png

In the early 1960s, Ady refocused her attention on parachuting while continuing to work as a physiotherapist. On 25 March 1961, she was hailed as the "Number One Woman Parachutist" by the Montreal Star newspaper in Canada (below) after she recorded 104 drops.
1658476887413.png

On 24 September 1962, the Daily Telegraph and Morning Post (below) announced "Award to Woman" when the British Parachute Association presented the Swan Cup to Ady.
1658476943331.png

Ady became Pauline McKay after she married. She died on 9 March 2015, aged 85. By her early thirties, she had acquired the status of an outstanding female role model in the then relatively new fields of recreational diving and parachuting while she was still employed as a health professional in several British hospitals. A life well lived.

Rowena Kerr was not the only British female diving pioneer. Pauline Ady's underwater swimming exploits began even earlier than Kerr’s. She too managed to excel in the water while her main occupation was unrelated to sub-aqua pursuits.

Pauline Ady was "a physiotherapist from Teddington who was a professional scuba diver and was learning to sky dive", to quote the Science Museum Group website at Photographs of Pauline Ady (Physiotherapist - Underwater swimming) | Science Museum Group Collection.

During the early 1950s, Ady was the first learner to enrol when a diving school with little in the way of equipment was founded at Laughing Water Lake in Cobham, a village six miles southeast of Gravesend in the English county of Kent. By the following week, she found herself instructing other learners.

On 4 January 1954, British Pathé issued a short film entitled "Girl Diver" showing Ady "being helped into diving equipment by two men. She wears a silver diving suit plus flippers, oxygen canisters and helmet. She is helped into the water of Laughing Water Lake and one of the men stands in the water beside her as she dives". The film can be viewed online at
Two historical photographs, now also online, show Ady delivering diving lessons. The picture above is captioned "28th April 1954: Pauline Ady, a tutor at an underwater swimming school in Cobham, Kent, explaining the importance and use of fins to her pupils". Accompanying the snapshot below are the words "5th May 1954: Instructor Pauline Ady, (left), coaching a ten-year-old pupil at an underwater swimming school at Laughing Water, Cobham, Kent".

Later the same year, Ady appeared in the film still below, which is captioned "Frogmen aid geologists in seabed search -- Miss Pauline Ady, a young physiotherapist and a keen underwater fisher, is towed by the boat as she searches the seabed for a glimpse of the rock. She is wearing a special breathing tube. Frogmen of the London Sub Aqua Club are aiding geologists in the search for a 50 million year old rock. Led by Mr. Jim Phoenix, the party of divers has been exploring the seabed off Pagham, near Bognor, in the hope of making the important geological discovery. They are seeking the mother rock from which a pebble, now in South Kensington (London) Museum, is believed to have originated. August 17, 1954". The still is from the silent film "Aqua Divers" (1954), which can be viewed at
At the opening of the London Boat Show on 30 December 1954 in Olympia, Ady found herself immersed in a huge water tank with a spectators' viewing window, taking it easy and eating bananas underwater. News of the stunt spread across the Atlantic, where the story was syndicated during the early months of 1955 in several local States-side newspapers, for example the Nebraska Plattsmouth Journal below:
On 15 February 1955, Kingston Sub-Aqua Club was formed at an inaugural meeting held at the Y.M.C.A. Eden St. Kingston. The meeting was opened by Pauline Ady and addressed by Oscar Gugen, who co-founded and then chaired the British Sub-Aqua Club.

British Pathé issued another film starring Ady with others at Kingston Baths on 2 January 1956. This short was entitled "Underwater Party" and featured "quirky stuff of people eating and drinking underwater at a party in a swimming pool". It is viewable online at
.​

The 30 January 1959 issue of the Nottingham Evening Post included the picture below of a then 29-year-old Ady instructing beginners in underwater swimming at Ilford Baths.
In the early 1960s, Ady refocused her attention on parachuting while continuing to work as a physiotherapist. On 25 March 1961, she was hailed as the "Number One Woman Parachutist" by the Montreal Star newspaper in Canada (below) after she recorded 104 drops.
On 24 September 1962, the Daily Telegraph and Morning Post (below) announced "Award to Woman" when the British Parachute Association presented the Swan Cup to Ady.
Ady became Pauline McKay after she married. She died on 9 March 2015, aged 85. By her early thirties, she had acquired the status of an outstanding female role model in the then relatively new fields of recreational diving and parachuting while she was still employed as a health professional in several British hospitals. A life well lived.
Thank you so much for this beautiful article on my late Aunt Pauline. She taught me to swim (lucky me) and sewed my birthday party dresses from old parachute silk. I didn't know growing up that she was a legend, but I did know that she was an amazing aunt.

Thanks David for posting this article about Pauline McKay. Imagine my surprise when I found it by accident as this is my Mum you are writing about!

You’ve done some good research here and have even got a couple of articles that I wasn’t aware of.

She was a wonderful lady with boundless energy and I recall being fascinated by her early diving exploits when growing up. My parents both met at the Kingston branch of BSAC (she designed their original Octopus logo) and they both nearly died when diving on their honeymoon and surfacing to find a storm had blown in.

My choices in life have been heavily influenced by her marine exploits; I did a degree in Marine Science (which included diving) and I am a qualified diver today.

Thanks once again, it brings back great memories.

Please DM me as I’d love to know how you managed to find all this info.

Thanks David for posting this article about Pauline McKay. Imagine my surprise when I found it by accident as this is my Mum you are writing about!

You’ve done some good research here and have even got a couple of articles that I wasn’t aware of.

She was a wonderful lady with boundless energy and I recall being fascinated by her early diving exploits when growing up. My parents both met at the Kingston branch of BSAC (she designed their original Octopus logo) and they both nearly died when diving on their honeymoon and surfacing to find a storm had blown in.

My choices in life have been heavily influenced by her marine exploits; I did a degree in Marine Science (which included diving) and I am a qualified diver today.

Hello Bruce, I stumbled across this too and I meant to forward it to you.

Once more an amazing post. Thank you very much. What a lady !

Dear Ms McKay,
Hope this message finds you well. My name is Eszter and I am part of the events team here at the Inn on the Lake Hotel. Currently, I'm on a mission to uncover the fascinating history of our beloved hotel, especially during the Laughing Waters era.

During this time, your mother played an instrumental role in shaping our hotel's legacy by teaching scuba diving in our lakes. Her contributions left an enduring mark on our establishment. To pay tribute to her remarkable achievements, we would be honoured to invite you for a complimentary night's stay at our hotel. We're genuinely eager to learn more about your mother and the profound impact she made during her time with us.

Please let us know if this opportunity resonates with you, and I’ll happily coordinate all arrangements accordingly.

Warm regards,

Eszter

eszter@fcdhotels.co.uk

Inn on the Lake Hotel

Attachments

• Lakeside Summer (23) resized .jpg
    Lakeside Summer (23) resized .jpg
    99 KB · Views: 13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom