Internal rust & flash rust in steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for that link, I had stumbled across it earlier.

Lots of good info.

Peter

I just had a new out-of-the-box PST 120 tank fail a vis test due to flash rust and couldn't get it filled. Is this common for brand-new steel tanks, or should I return it and get a refund?

dnight once bubbled...
I just had a new out-of-the-box PST 120 tank fail a vis test due to flash rust and couldn't get it filled. Is this common for brand-new steel tanks, or should I return it and get a refund?

You should return it and get a refund. If this is a new tank than flash rust is not acceptable and I wouldn't dive on that tank...EVER. Some may disagree, but to each his own. This is not common, however I would venture to guess that the tank probably was sitting on a shelf somewhere that was very damp or had gotten wet somehow. Again, only speculating here. Tanks should last quite a bit of time if taken care of properly and I think this one wasn't IMHO.

Best thing to do is really never trust when any one saysit is O2 cleaned from the factory without trusting someone else to look at it. I bought a pair of new PST E8-130's And when I did the visual I didn't like what I saw so I did a glass bead tumble wash on them and put it this way they weren't up to my standards of O2 cleaned but they are now!......but I have the equipment to do it with. yes I would see if they would exchange the tank or at least pay to have it cleaned for you, flash rust is really not a problem as far as a structural point of the tank but I really wouldn't want to breath air out of it in it's present state.
just my O2 cents
Rob

Actually, I have heard of one other brand new PST cylinder that came thru with "moisture" on the inside, and a significant amount of crud in the bottom...

The bottom line is, wherever you bought this cylinder, they should have opened the tank up and at least looked inside before they sold it to you. We have been doing that for all new steels, just because of this sort of thing happens. The PST cylinders DO come thru with a visual sticker on them, but you got to wonder when cylinders are slipping thru that are wet on the inside. very not cool...

Yep, the vis sticker on the tank says may 2003, so it's been sitting on a shelf unpressurized for 4 months.

Back to leisurepro it goes.

Just a note on the new PST E-8s. In the literature that comes with the tank is a statement that discoloration is possible due to the heat treat process that they use and that it is not a problem. The only reason that I know this is that I recently bought a pair of E8-130s and noticed some discoloration in the tank, what I considered flash rust. The shop owner called PST to get their take on the situation and see about sending the tanks back. PSTs response was that they were okay as they were and would still be considered o2 cleanable. So, I will be opening the tanks up on a regular basis to check them out. If I see any expansion in the discoloration back they go. Since they have a 5 year warranty, and PST said that they were okay, there had better not be any complaining from them. If I decide to get them set up for O2 clean I will have them tumbled.

I have two friends who recently bought doubles with the E8-130s from another shop owner. They did not get to look inside theirs before they were assembled. I wonder what theirs looked like.

JoelW

I spoke with Tony at Pressed Steel. He called the LDS that vis'ed the tank, and is picking up the tab to have it blasted clean.

Now I have two HP120 tanks... life is hard... :D

PST-Scuba

New cylinder delivery:
All new scuba cylinders shipping from PST-Scuba facility are internally inspected prior to shipping. The possibility of a cylinder that could be shipped out that does not follow our standard for internal cleanliness is highly unlikely, but not impossible. We encourage anyone who finds anything to the contrary, to please contact PST-Scuba at (414) 476-0500.

Internal Inspection:
PST-Scuba does not have any internal coating. We do this for one important reason: When it comes time for a visual inspection, you need a clear look at the internal sidewalls to ensure a proper and valid inspection.

Rust Bloom:
A chartarstic of the PST-Scuba is the possibility of a rust bloom. This is where you drop a light into the tank and you will get an orange glow. This is normal and safe for the product and the diver, and yes our product is cleaned for oxygen service, as long it is matched with an approved valve for such service.

There is no other product in the market that will give you a better indication of what its life has been prior to this inspection. If you have our scuba cylinders filled with the minimum grade “E” breathing air, our product will and has out lasted any other gas cylinder used for diving. PST has cylinders in service today that where produced 30+ years ago.

Don’t shoot the messenger:
For a cylinder that will not pass an internal visual inspection, you need to find the source of the contamination. A scuba cylinder is going to collect and accumulate what ever has been pumped into it, and eventually this passes through your regulator and then on to the diver.

PST has been producing gas cylinder for over 100 years and has been a partner in the diving community since 1954.

“This is life support equipment with the potential kinetic energy of 1.3 million foot pounds, treat it according.”

Best regards,

Thomas Ivey
PST-Scuba Product Mgr.
tivey@pressedsteel.com

Now that's customer service. You didn't rule out the possibility for internal cleanliness but you didn't deny it couldn't happen. You even took the time to post on this board. I would venture to guess that the majority of consumers understand that errors can happen with companies producing goods even though this might not have been the companies fault in this instance... just speculating.

BUT... this type of customer service is what the majority of us feel great about. Matter of fact, when I buy future cylinders, I'll look at you folks first.

Kudos to you!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom