Intermediate Pressure Guage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Buy a spare for that price!

Bigger can be slower, especially if it's oil damped, like the one in the middle: it has a response time that's noticeably slower than that of the regulator, and that could make the evaluation of the reg a bit more difficult.

Attachments

• IP-Gauges.jpg
    IP-Gauges.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 290
For years I knew what an IP gauge was and that I needed to have one and yet I never got off my rear to order one. My wife got cancer and I gave all my gear away. When she got better I set out to buy everything and an IP gauge was on my list as required gear.

This is one of those things that I think every diver should understand and have one in his save a dive kit. And yet you rarely see an LDS carry it. I have my theories on why but I'll stop there.

In short, if you don't have an IP gauge. Go order one right now.

I have no logical need for such a thing...so, of course, just ordered one. :wink:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/260452-regulator-checklist-inspection.html

6. Intermediate pressure check. Get a scuba regulator intermediate pressure gauge: Intermediate Pressure Gauge Plugs Into The BCD Quick Disconnect Hose from LeisurePro.com

Find out what the IP range should be for your regulator (most are ~ 135 +/- 10 psi.) Connect your regulator to a tank and open the tank valve. Connect the IP gauge to the LP inflator hose, and lightly press the purge a few times to "cycle" the regulator.

The intermediate pressure should dip whenever the air is flowing, and immediately return to the acceptable range and remain steady. If it tends to climb (creep) that indicates there is a problem with the first stage that must be corrected. It's not a bad idea to leave the regulator pressurized with the IP gauge connected for several minutes to check for slow IP creep.
Now you do. :)

I'm an engineer, so love accumulating data & I'm a tool guy, so rarely pass up a tool I might need.

The value of having this information is obvious, though I've been (naively?) assuming my annual service would keep the IP in line.

I don't suppose anyone monitors this while actually diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom