Interesting BP/W "Ditchable" Weight System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

single tank? why is this in technical diving?

To the best of my knowledge I assume BP/W setups are considered technical gear, irespective of singles or doubles. If someone wants to move it, go for it. I would move it to the advanced section, but I can't even change my listed age at the moment; for now, I'm a 15 year old electrical engineer. I'm just looking for responses.

I will be doing single tank diving in warm water, so likely very little weight from the start. I was hoping to move most of the weight to the back, even the ditchable variety if possible.

Thanks for the details.
Use a v-weight for the bulk of your lead (non ditchable) and the rest on a weight belt that can be dropped.

To the best of my knowledge I assume BP/W setups are considered technical gear, irespective of singles or doubles. If someone wants to move it, go for it. I would move it to the advanced section, but I can't even change my listed age at the moment; for now, I'm a 15 year old electrical engineer. I'm just looking for responses.
I have moved this thread to advanced, if you need me to change anything on your profile for you just click "quote in conversation" bottom right of this post and let me know in the PM.

On topic, I use the DTD weight pockets a lot, they are detachable if needed but pretty secure in normal use. The velcro is wrap around twice so the load is well distributed.

@RainPilot we lost one on our last trip. The velcro flap that holds it to the webbing is fairly easy to dislodge while removing the rig to hand it up to the person on the boat.

It was later recovered and returned thanks to the magic of a scubaboard post in the Cozumel forum.

Use a v-weight for the bulk of your lead (non ditchable) and the rest on a weight belt that can be dropped.

Any good v-weight recommendations for singles? A lot of the ones I see are formed based on doubles. Thanks.

Any good v-weight recommendations for singles? A lot of the ones I see are formed based on doubles. Thanks.
V weights are almost exclusively for doubles. I say almost but I’m pretty convinced it’s always but I am often wrong. For singles, the solution is usuallly a pocket on a camband. For best results move the pocket as close to your back as possible to minimise the tank rolling over tendency.

I use the zip touch and I like it. When my sons were certified I set them up with Zeagle Express Techs with the zip touch. I'm not a big fan of Velcro, but for this the weights are inserted and removed via the zipper, so the Velcro is not wearing out from use. The orientation is vertical, so the weights are pretty close to the backplate, and stay there even if the pocket is not full. I like that there is no inner pocket to regret dropping. I dive in the Caribbean and it is so easy to use the pocket instead of a weight belt. I've never had to drop my weights, but the handle is pretty easy to find by feel.
Dive Rite has some weight pockets that have a buckle closure (Travel Weight Pocket - with Locking Attachment | Dive Rite) that are good for up to 4 lbs each. These are interesting to me because I'm on the list for a Freedom Plate and the zip touch needs two holes in the backplate to mount to and one of the holes is where the Freedom Plate isn't. For Caribbean diving I only use 4 lbs so the Dive Rite pockets will work.
When I dive Monterey, CA (coldish water) I'm in a 7 mil wetsuit and usually come close to maxing out the zip touch (20 lbs) but they work fine and are comfortable. The only problem (if you could call it that) is that if I am using a steel cylinder and a small wing (Zeagle Express Tech with 24 lbs wing), the BC could not be floated at the surface with just the wing buoyancy. Not the fault of the zip touch certainly, but just a note that distributing some weight on a weight belt might be desired if floating a BC at the surface is important to you. In that case I put 8 lbs on the belt and 12 in the zip touch and was happy. 20 lbs on a weight belt was a bit uncomfortable.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Diverite also makes pouches that hold 8lbs each. They're what I use. At 5 years old, I replaced them just in case. In those 5 years I never had any problems with the Velcro or the clips coming loose inadvertently. Also, when I was working at an aquarium I would often stick 10-12lbs in them instead of just 8. Still didn't have a single issue. Unless you install them vertical and upside down, the velcro and clips don't really have to hold much actual weight.

16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite I wear them horizontally on my bp/w waist belt. When diving steel I don't bother to use any lead but when diving aluminum tanks, they get used.

Back
Top Bottom