Interesting approach to automatic Buoyancy at DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is probably actually a good idea for new / vacation divers since it removes the positive feedback buoyancy loop that we all learn to deal with. It is absolutely a technology solution to a skill problem, but isn't that what tech, especially consumer tech, is supposed to do?
Standard system: 70 pounds average
Avelo system: 40 pounds average

The above claim is not credible. We still need the same amount of weight to submerge. Our buoyancy and the buoyancy of our suits remain unaffected. The physical volumes of the tanks seem to be similar, too. Hence, dry weight must be the same.

Automation can be great for some people, though. Hence, the Avelo system could be useful for many a vacation diver.

I scanned through the 1h puff piece with Dan Orr. Did not learn much, except this seems like a great device for someone who is not weighted correctly, has a big fat BCD instead of a small BP/W, doesn't know how to control their buoyancy, has a lot of money to waste, and doesn't care to learn how to dive. Any possible benefits are greatly outweighed by cost, complexity, and higher risk on a dive. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....

There is a chance we are vacationing in Maui in early 2023, and thought this would be fun to try/explore. Then I saw they wanted either $4,500 or $3,800 to try it out. Think I'd rather do full cave, CCR trimix, or a whole host of other courses rather than some try dives on this at that price.

Yet another solution to a non-existent problem.
Do you believe that buoyancy challenges are a non-existent problem on mass-produced (on an industrial scale) recreational dives?
I am not sure the proposed system is a solution, though.
I could be wrong.

In fairness though, the #1 stated goal was to reduce dry weight. They seem to have that box checked and may be attractive to some divers for that alone.
That was what got me to watch the video in the first place. I LOVE the idea of being able to ditch 30 pounds of kit. And I think it would be great for lots and lots of vacation divers. I imagine beyond the lightweight kit, they'd love the sense of freedom, and never feel happy enclosed in a jacket BCD again.
Carbon fiber wrapped AL tank is simply lighter. "Properly weighted" is hopefully assumed for both sides of the comparison.
An AL80+valve+BCD weighs what? 40, 45 pounds? If the Avelo kit weighs 40 pounds (I wish they would say, exactly), and they assume their typical "traditional" diver wears 12 - 18 pounds of lead (properly weighted, really?), that doesn't come close to adding up to 30 pounds less. What am I missing? I'm really interested to hear.

You could buy a cheap little, super light weight scooter and negate any drag or hinderance that a typical, small BC provides, and do it safely, easily and inexpensively.

I seriously doubt this device will be around in 3 years.

There is a chance we are vacationing in Maui in early 2023, and thought this would be fun to try/explore. Then I saw they wanted either $4,500 or $3,800 to try it out. Think I'd rather do full cave, CCR trimix, or a whole host of other courses rather than some try dives on this at that price.
I’m there now, about a mile away from Lahaina divers, don’t see the need to even go check it out, maybe if I had looked at this a few days ago but leaving in the morning so not likely to head up there.

I seriously doubt this device will be around in 3 years.

Well, I don't know. I must admit this rig leaves me puzzled and doubtfuI and I may be opening a can of worms, or kicking a hornets nest, but still I remember when I started diving in 1990 : in France using a 'modern' BCD (meaning : not the MaeWest kind, or Fenzy if you're local) was a sturdy offence, which would have got you close to excommunication... Nowadays, it's the other way around, those who still dive a conventional BCD are losers, real divers use wings. So, in 10 years time, what will happen ?

so could you keep putting water into the tank to sustain the air pressure while its volume diminishes? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen, keeping pressure up while volume diminishes until volume is zero while pressure drops catastrophically. I guess there would be sensors not allowing water pressure to exceed current air pressure. There is a lot of physics going on with this.

Back
Top Bottom