Interesting approach to automatic Buoyancy at DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49

I think this is probably actually a good idea for new / vacation divers since it removes the positive feedback buoyancy loop that we all learn to deal with. It is absolutely a technology solution to a skill problem, but isn't that what tech, especially consumer tech, is supposed to do?

Meh. I prefer to avoid relying on a battery for basic functions.

Plus, since they say you already need to be OW certified before using, I'm not sure really how many issues you are saving -- you're just introducing a 2nd system of buoyancy control to a new diver.

You never know, but hard to see this having widespread adoption -- having the "BCD" inside the tank seems like it would introduce more costs and complications (combined tank and BCD inspections?) for dive ops.

Trying not to be completely negative: perhaps it could be slightly easier for adaptive divers?

We discussed this a bunch last year. IMO, at best this is going to end up filling the same sort of niche as the Segway. Something for vacation divers to try out at popular dive destinations. And maybe pay an upcharge for renting them during their stay.

Since you are basically bundling an expensive BCD with an expensive tank, it's not going to work for anyone who normally does multi-tank trips.

I see the future of this as being something you learn on, and then, manual buoyancy with a BCD becomes an add-on skill later if you go on. Yeah, we're not there yet, but for once a year resort divers, I can see this being a good thing.

I spoke with the guy at the booth. He was very excited and very nice. Listened to the whole sales pitch. At the end he told me that - "see this simple harness- you don't wear a BC and instead rely 100% on the buoyancy generated inside the tank". That was over the top for me. I told him it was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in diving and I would never use such a device. Seems dangerous and way too complicated.

I see the future of this as being something you learn on, and then, manual buoyancy with a BCD becomes an add-on skill later if you go on. Yeah, we're not there yet, but for once a year resort divers, I can see this being a good thing.
Except that all OW certification standards requires demonstration of manual buoyancy control. And no one will insure an agency that doesn't use those standards or a scuba equipment manufacturer that flouts the standards.

That's why Avelo is requiring both OW certification and additional training to use it.

Yet another solution to a non-existent problem.
It does solve two problems. Or rather one problem and one possible annoyance.

The problem is total system weight. By using a Carbon fiber and Al tank and water ballast, you cut something like 30 pounds over an Al80 + lead.

The possible annoyance depends on how you feel about the encumbrance of scuba gear. Some people find a full jacket BCD to be comforting. I'm on the other end and try to be as minimal as I can with a single tank plate with trim pockets for weights and a small wing. I'd be happy to ditch my weights and wing if all else were equal.

The question is what do you have to give up to get this? One will obviously be up front price. This can't be cheap. Another is going to be maintenance time and costs. After all the thing works by using a battery powered high pressure pump to force raw water (even saltwater!) inside your tank. This is why I would be surprised if this is ever successfully marketed to individual divers as opposed to dive ops.

Before you go too far off without details, maybe watch this:

This is Dan Orr, the former CEO of Divers Alert Network and chairman of the WRSTC. During 2022, the largest brands in scuba sent their top level people to participate in the pilot. The result was multiple collaborations with all of them. The one that was revealed at DEMA was the one with scubaPRO. There is so much more depth to this approach and technology that is not obvious until you dive it. The webinar helps more than anything else. In a nutshell - diving this system is like switching from a sedan to a high-speed motorcycle. It is a far better overall experience, but you need to know what you are doing.

And by the way - there is nothing automatic about it. The system is manual.

Before you go too far off without details, maybe watch this:

This is Dan Orr, the former CEO of Divers Alert Network and chairman of the WRSTC. During 2022, the largest brands in scuba sent their top level people to participate in the pilot. The result was multiple collaborations with all of them. The one that was revealed at DEMA was the one with scubaPRO. There is so much more depth to this approach and technology that is not obvious until you dive it. The webinar helps more than anything else. In a nutshell - diving this system is like switching from a sedan to a high-speed motorcycle. It is a far better overall experience, but you need to know what you are doing.

And by the way - there is nothing automatic about it. The system is manual.

While I think others were too quick to judge the system, your post also comes off like you have stock in the company lol

Back
Top Bottom