Interested in meeting the local DIR community...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xdjio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
... here in Vancouver BC!

I've been doing a lot of reading of standards documents, reading god-knows-how-many threads on here, and using my own brainpowers to consider how I feel about DIR practices and it sits very well with how I like to approach things. I should say that I tend to (try) to be a pretty methodical guy: measure twice (really? is twice enough?) cut once. Planning is a passion, I suppose, and I think the DIR approach would suit me well. I've had a (little) exposure to it already through my instructors (OW and AOW) at IDC here, where Alan Johnson is on staff.

I'm going to be going to be going to Alan's GUE demo day here in a couple weeks, but also would be keen to meet some local DIR folks for future dives / mentoring / advice / etc etc etc.

Any pointers / introductions / advice / etc are most welcome.

Thanks!

I've been doing a lot of reading of standards documents, reading god-knows-how-many threads on here, and using my own brainpowers to consider how I feel about DIR practices and it sits very well with how I like to approach things. I should say that I tend to (try) to be a pretty methodical guy: measure twice (really? is twice enough?) cut once. Planning is a passion, I suppose, and I think the DIR approach would suit me well. I've had a (little) exposure to it already through my instructors (OW and AOW) at IDC here, where Alan Johnson is on staff.

I'm going to be going to be going to Alan's GUE demo day here in a couple weeks, but also would be keen to meet some local DIR folks for future dives / mentoring / advice / etc etc etc.

Any pointers / introductions / advice / etc are most welcome.

Thanks!

You can find courses, instructors, etc., at Welcome | Global Underwater Explorers

There is a GUI forum at Global Underwater Explorers

Enjoy, and welcome to SB!

Hey there!
There is in fact a Facebook group for lower mainland GUE and aspiring GUE divers called Greater Vancouver Ocean Explorers.
Its a good spot to find out about upcoming events, coordinate dives and meet other like minded divers.

Its a private group so I'll have to add you (assuming you're on Facebook). Private message me and we'll exchange the necessary details!

Jonathan

Hey there!
There is in fact a Facebook group for lower mainland GUE and aspiring GUE divers called Greater Vancouver Ocean Explorers.
Its a good spot to find out about upcoming events, coordinate dives and meet other like minded divers.

Its a private group so I'll have to add you (assuming you're on Facebook). Private message me and we'll exchange the necessary details!

Jonathan

Yup, I am. Will send a PM momentarily - thank you!

Hey xdjio,

I just finished my fundies today with Alan, and although GUE courses are relatively expensive, I think I definitely got my moneys worth out of it -- even doing it with a single tank.

I'm new to DIR and don't know the local community yet, but sounds like you've got a good plan. I would definitely recommend diving with experienced DIR folks to help you get in a good position if you choose to go that route.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Hey xdjio,

I just finished my fundies today with Alan, and although GUE courses are relatively expensive, I think I definitely got my moneys worth out of it -- even doing it with a single tank.

I'm new to DIR and don't know the local community yet, but sounds like you've got a good plan. I would definitely recommend diving with experienced DIR folks to help you get in a good position if you choose to go that route.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Great to hear, roko. What did you find most valuable from the course? There's no "one thing" I'm looking for as a magic bullet - more of an "everything" approach to getting more familiar with a more rigorous discipline of diving, if that makes sense.

I'm always looking for buddies as well, so if you ever feel like making a new dive pal, I'd be keen to meet up! I'll probably be looking to to go diving in late April, or maybe sync up with the local GUE folks referenced in the above facebook group if it works for timing.

It's hard to pin down one most valuable part of the course, but a few of the things I really liked (by no means a complete list):
- Detailed introduction to gas planning and calculations
- Build up of skill throughout the course, where many of the skills in early dives were building blocks for what was done in the final dives
- Student dive-teams led the dives, where the instructor briefed us what we'd do at the start, but it was up to us to run the dive as a team
- Video review, so you could see where you were screwing up -- This was especially useful for things like trim and propulsion
- VERY detailed instruction and tutoring in the fine mechanics of each of the kicks (especially the back-kick for me)
- Strong emphasis on teamwork, i.e. if your team-mate makes a mistake it's encouraged to help them.
- Positive learning environment (The instructor isn't there to belittle you for doing things wrong, but rather to help you learn in a positive fashion)

I went into the course pretty confident with my diving (~120 dives when I started), and being able to somewhat do all the skills, but this course really helped to refine those skills and showed me some bad habits. One good example is that although I have reasonably good trim, I have a tendency to bend at the waist, which would put my legs and fins at a slightly odd angle which had an effect on some of the finer kicks, like the back-kick. The video review and Alan's attention to these subtle details helped a lot to identify this in my head to try and break that habit. I've got plenty more examples like that, although I'm sure you can get that from all the detailed blow-by-blow course reports others have posted on this forum.

Like I said, I did it with a single tank, so the best I could hope for was a recreational pass. This doesn't really certify me to do anything new, and doesn't give me access to further courses like Tech 1, etc. The true value of the course is what it will teach you to make you a better, safer diver. In that respect alone, I think the course is worth it and I'm glad I didn't wait until I "eventually, maybe" got doubles. (Plus, in the future, if/when I switch to doubles, I can bring my skills up to snuff and re-test to get a tech-pass if I choose to go that route.) I was on the fence about GUE/DIR before this course, but I once I was done, it had convinced me of the value in GUE's system and put to rest all the negativity I've heard attached to the DIR moniker... (I drank the kool-aide, as they say..)

Let me know if you want to go diving sometime, I'm always happy to expand my pool of dive buddies. I try to get out as much as I can (which sadly averages out to only about every other weekend or so)

Sounds like a great experience! I'm hoping to - through practice and osmosis - build up many of these skills starting early on, before I have a chance to acquire too many bad habits :)

I'd be glad to go on a dive together - I don't get out as much as I'd like to, but usually aim for once a month. Will drop you a PM.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom