Intentionally out of air (at 15m)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that's a tech dive procedure, but I've never heard it on recreational.
It's growing in acceptance in all communities because it makes so much more sense.

It's growing in acceptance in all communities because it makes so much more sense.
If I can keep the working reg in my mouth and offer a LOA diver another one that I am purging to demonstrate that it works, that makes better sense to me. I try to avoid not having one in my mouth.

I think it makes more sense (that how I do it) but you need to have a bungeed second around your neck otherwise they have your primary and you're looking around for your second.

Your training should have told you to take his primary.

His training should have told him this whole thing was a bad idea from the start.

:shakehead:

I guess I should have said, "experience should tell you to take his primary." But in this case he had no experience. To me, what he and the DM did is not a bad thing, as long as your at the proper depth and have more than 8 dives under your belt.

But, I meant what i said about training, maybe my experiences have outgrown my training and it all runs together. =P

I'm not going to get into the "which reg do you use debate." The fact remains that as a relatively inexperience diver, you should have had more sense than to purposefully run out of air at that depth.

I believe that a person has a responsibility to his Buddy and in putting yourself in an urgent/emergency situation you didn't live up to your obligations. DMs and Instructors are not impervious to running into trouble and requiring YOUR assistance; regardless what the macho crowd may think!

For those who say that it's good training I disagree. I also disagree with getting narced on purpose, or in breathing nitrox at 200 ft so you can experience oxygen toxicity so you know what it feels like; that's just irresponsible. (shakes head)

Last edited:
Asides from the theoretical, I had a real life OOA experience. My buddy ran out and while he was signalling I was able to quickly pass him my primary reg and go to my secondary reg. No fuss. No muss. No problem. Just like the drills, but maybe even quicker.

(Later, of course, I chastised myself for not having checked his pressure sooner.)

Asides from the theoretical, I had a real life OOA experience. My buddy ran out and while he was signalling I was able to quickly pass him my primary reg and go to my secondary reg. No fuss. No muss. No problem. Just like the drills, but maybe even quicker.

(Later, of course, I chastised myself for not having checked his pressure sooner.)

Looks like the trainings works. If you dive long enough, you get to have lots of different experiences, some of them you wish you could forget about; they can keep you up at night if you think about them too much...

I think it might help these people to teach students to actually PLAN their dive, which includes GAS Management. An OOA due to catastrophic equipment failure is one thing but OOA just because you didn't plan your dive for the available gas and failed to routinely check your SPG is unacceptable. I don't dive with people who just "happen to run out of air".

Back
Top Bottom