Integrated octopus and a standard octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mathematical

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it pointless to have an integrated octopus and a standard octopus? I like the inflator buttons on the integrated octopuses more than the standard power inflators, plus as long as it doesn't free flow it should not be a negative right? Or am I wrong?

Well, you are about to get a bunch of replies, I will start with my opinion. I would stick to a standard secondary regulator setup. I never liked the idea of trying to control buoyancy with the inflator in my mouth, in what is probably going to be stressful situation (you have a problem with your primary, bad or you have donated your primary to your buddy, worse). You may go your entire diving career and never use the secondary, except in practice, I would keep it as simple as possible

Well, you are about to get a bunch of replies, I will start with my opinion. I would stick to a standard secondary regulator setup. I never liked the idea of trying to control buoyancy with the inflator in my mouth, in what is probably going to be stressful situation (you have a problem with your primary, bad or you have donated your primary to your buddy, worse). You may go your entire diving career and never use the secondary, except in practice, I would keep it as simple as possible

I think there is some miscommunication. I would have 2 second stages ( primary and octopus) and a integrated octopus. So it would still not be a good idea to have an octopus and an integrated octopus along with a primary second stage?

What problem are you trying to solve with the air2? Why do you think it is a better setup than the traditional PADI setup or the vastly superior necklaced secondary, long hose primary setup?

i prefer standard long hose configuration. The air2 style inflators have a lot of failure points which I don't like, plus they require special LP hoses which are annoying if the hose fails, you have to borrow/rent a regulator, or even if you borrow/rent a BC with your personal reg set. Which inflators have you used that you didn't like? The standard ones on the plates/wings are all super easy to use and comfortable to hold on to. The Scubapro ones suck imho, as do most of the recreational ones.

ScubaPro-Balanced-Power-Inflator-BPI-Big-1.jpg
=evil

trident_90-degree_power_inflator_aa45.jpg
=slightly less annoying
diveriteinflatorheadsidepic1tiny.png
=best imho

I have an integrated secondary on my inflator. I've been doing some rescue training and going through the drills to deal with an out of air or failed regulator scenario. My GF and dive partner is familiar with my set up and we've never had an issue.

But, and there always seems to be one, I think I'll be getting the standard octo in the yellow, easy to see color. While I generally dive with my GF we also dive on boats with other people around. You never know how stressed that other diver you may not know is going to be and I'd rather make it simpler for them to recognize my octo so they'll accept it more readily. Besides that the longer hose on the octo lets me move around if I have to get behind them and control their ascent if they're in an all out panic.

To answer your question, yes you can use an integrated as your inflator then use your bungeed as your second. Not my preference, I dislike the size/weight of the integrated, but it is certainly an option.

I don't see why this would be a negative at all! You just have two back ups instead of one..... You are coming more prepared than 99% of people seeing that I have dived with people that have no Octo whatsoever.

Only negative I can think of is it's one more thing you will have to worry about. I personally like to keep it simple and stick with my integrated Octo to alleviate having to try and find my Octo in an emergency. I guess another negative would be you would have double the cost!

They're not going for your "Octo."

correct, they're going for the one in your mouth if they're panicked, not the yellow one in the "golden triangle" nonsense that PADI and BSAC try to spew.

Will wait to hear the OP's response to my question before I give a long answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom