Integrated Air Source vs. Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Limerick time! Dumping is the topic. :)

redhatmama:
Limerick time! Dumping is the topic. :)

While making a buoyant ascent
I seldom have time to lament

With inflator in mouth
Ascents will go south

No dumping, all bumping
It looks like you're humping

Be it bungied or dangled
THis limerick is mangled

TSandM:
My husband is currently using a standard octo hose on his primary and simply routing it under his arm. He did find it was a little uncomfortable and put a swivel on it, but that would have been solved by going to a 40" hose. Both of us are using necklaced secondaries because it just makes sense.
I'm not sure about it making sense, but it does sound pretty darn dir.:14:

mboot_9:
the air donor goes behind

this comes from cave and wreck OOA situations where if the buddy loses hold of the reg, the donor will notice

While this may be true in cave and wreck situations, the vast majority of divers are not trained to attempt these dives. IMHO when in open water it is better to have the OOA diver in front of you where you can hold onto their BC and control their accent.

The infernal inflator failed
derserted me when he hailed,
Hey "You there!"
requesting my air,
"Bye, bye" I waved as I sailed!

I'm not sure about it making sense, but it does sound pretty darn dir.

Don't accuse my husband of being DIR. Ask Snowbear what happens when you do that :)

Hmm.
Well, I really don't get overly worked up about pieces of gear, but I do a fair amount of diving and have done quite a few simulated OOA's and even a few real ones using an Air 2. Anyway, here are a few of my observations.
The air 2 isn't the most comfortable regulator in the world to breathe off of, but unless you plan on spending the bulk of your diving time bringing up OOA's, you will probably be able to suffer through the minute or so that you'll be using it for. That said, there are a good number of simple downstream octo's that breathe worse than the air 2 anyway.
I would recommend to anyone who uses an air 2 to pop it their mouth every once in a while for an ascent, just for the practice. It's even kinda fun.
One of the handiest things about an air 2 is the fact that it is very very easy to locate. This isn't usually a benefit I realize during an OOA rescue, but it has come in handy a few times when I've had to all of a sudden like enter the water without taking my eyes off of someone or something to locate my primary, or when I've been knocked in unexpectedly. A necklaced secondary offers this same benefit, only maybe better.
I use a G-250 as an alternate for any really deep diving that I do, not because I'm afraid that the air 2 will fail to deliver air, but because I think its clever to have adjustable regs down there so that you can deal with creeps (slow leaking through the reg) and extra big currents by just loading the spring a little. My every day recreational work rig is a 25/600 with an air 2 on a SP Classic (full on vest) BC. I prefer this set up mostly because it is very fast to get into if there's an emergency, but I like the way it swims too.
In summary, I have both set ups. They each have their place in diving. My advice would be for rec divers, the air 2 is great, it is convenient and certainly not unsafe. For those who will be doing deep, cave or decompression diving to get an adjustable second stage for that purpose.

So for those with Air-2 type secondaries, what is the recommended primary hose length?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom