Integrated Air Source vs. Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has been covered time and time again but like it has been said. It can be difficult to find. Some like it, some love, it some hate it and everyone has their reasons. My suggestion is to go with whichever YOU prefer. I teach with both the AirII and octos. Venting from the AirII is no more difficult than a normal power inflator in my opinion. To get through air shared ascents, you should be proficient with both. Personally, I like my AirII and will keep it even though I dive with an octo part of the time. Try both and go with your choice.

Please somebody, explain to me why anyone would consider using an Air2 as your alternative/backup air supply? It just seems soooo well...ridiculous!

With an Air2 your inflator is now more convoluted, having three mechanisms integrated in the one unit. Therefore if there is a failure, your BC control and backup are killed, with one failure! The Air2, as described by some in the previous posts, is awkward and "stressful" to breath from while venting your BC. Is it really that more convenient?

I have a really hard time understanding why you wouldn't by two high quality secondaries; sling the secondary around your neck with a bungee and the other as your primary. You have reduced the effect/seriousness of any inflator/backup failures, it's out of the way and it is easier to reach (below your chin!). The whole octo/Air2 combination appears even more bizarre. :06:

I'm not DIR, but it seems like a no brainer....Or have I missed something?

Just Interested!

Cheers!!:14:

I dove with an "old school" no-longhose-josé buddy some weeks ago. I got a free flow due to a faulty adjusted back up 2. stage. I shut off my 1. stage (had just one on this dive :11: ) and got his "octopussy" on a short hose. We did ok and tried waiting a minute to see if it was "just" a freeze up (4 Celsius), but it wasn't, so we went for the surface (25 meters). We were calm and managed just fine, and talk through the situation at the surface before swimming ashore. The day after he called me to order a long hose. I bet he had to reach far in to do just that, but he did. He's now diving primary on long hose and BACK UP in a neck bungee. -And no cheap yellow 2. stages... Just like me.

Don't get the "AIR2" or what they call it. It's not good enough. Mount two equal 2. stages, switch them from time to time to keep them "trimmed", and make shure you have it "DIR style". If you use an ordinary bcd you won't need the full 7 ft long hose though. A 5 ft will be perfect.

dherbman:
Which agency teaches shared air ascents that way?
The - whatever works in a given situation - agency? I don't know if it's "approved" or not, but wouldn't the easiest method be the one to choose, in order to make it work?

I think you want a little more eye to eye contact during an OOA ascent, I I can't stand p;eople sneaking up on my blind side. :D
Many of us in our Rescue class had Air II's and agreed a slightly longer primary hose would be great.

dlndavid:
I think you want a little more eye to eye contact during an OOA ascent, I I can't stand p;eople sneaking up on my blind side. :D
Many of in our Rescue class had Air II's and agreed a slightly longer primary hose would be great.
I haven't tried it this way either, it was just a thought.

Perhaps some experimentation is in order?

The only problem with longer hoses, unless you use a REALLY LONG hose that can wrap around your body, is the potential for entanglement with a somewhat longer than average hose. Don't you think?

howarde:
The - whatever works in a given situation - agency? I don't know if it's "approved" or not, but wouldn't the easiest method be the one to choose, in order to make it work?

Well....... It would be more convenient and it could work, but the OOA diver is likely to be stressed and the provider should be in control of the ascent. There's no way to know if the OOA diver is experiencing a reverse squeeze or is even breathing if you can't see them. Additionally, people just don't learn that way and throwing in on the fly procedures, especially in an already stressful situation often results in problems.

More importantly, I don't think I'd want some of the guys I dive with behind me and that close for that long. :wink:

My husband is currently using a standard octo hose on his primary and simply routing it under his arm. He did find it was a little uncomfortable and put a swivel on it, but that would have been solved by going to a 40" hose. Both of us are using necklaced secondaries because it just makes sense.

dherbman:
Well....... It would be more convenient and it could work, but the OOA diver is likely to be stressed and the provider should be in control of the ascent. There's no way to know if the OOA diver is experiencing a reverse squeeze or is even breathing if you can't see them. Additionally, people just don't learn that way and throwing in on the fly procedures, especially in an already stressful situation often results in problems.

More importantly, I don't think I'd want some of the guys I dive with behind me and that close for that long. :wink:

You're probably right on the "being able to monitor the victim" part.

Ok... bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom