Integrated Air Source vs. Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really a bad idea, just not practical in most recreational situations.

Guess how it's done when scootering and using the long hose.

When I originally geared up, I went with the Seaquest Airsource ILO an octo. I have never had to use it in an air share situation so I can not comment on how well it breaths. I still have it on my BC, but added an octo when I took my Rescue class a few years back. A few factors went into making this decision.

First, as mentioned in a previous post, how well is this senario going to work- trying to vent your BC through the Airsouce while breathing off it with a potentially paniced diver in tow breathing off your primary during ascent. I decided this was something I did not want to try.

Second, in an air share you give up your primary (the best reg in your set up) and breath off the Airsouce (not the best reg in yout set up). When I bought my octo, I didn't just buy an octo, I bought a twin of my primary (Scubapro S600). In case I need to use it, I know in breaths just as good as the other, and my dive buddy knows that I care enough to offer them a great reg in case of emergency. I even bought a really good octo for my regular dive buddy as a birthday gift. It may be a little self serving as I am the one who might have to ues it, but I did not want to rely on the cheapo octo that she bought when she geared up.

My advice- Skip the Airsource, buy an octo (a good one).

howarde:
Wouldn't there be enough room, if your buddy is behind you instead of in front?

the air donor goes behind

this comes from cave and wreck OOA situations where if the buddy loses hold of the reg, the donor will notice

I don't see the problem really if the donor is comfortable with the gear. My buddy has an Atomic inline he opines breathes much better than his old secondary. I would be happy to accept his Apeks primary if I ever need a donor. His inflator hose on his Transpac is long enough for him to breathe through his secondary while remaining prone. If some extremely unlikely double whammy of needing to donate while simultanously having an inflator hose failure occurs, then there is always the rear pull dump.

His particular reason for adopting the inline secondary is eliminating clutter.

Cold_Under_Here:
Please somebody, explain to me why anyone would consider using an Air2 as your alternative/backup air supply? It just seems soooo well...ridiculous!
I would love to explain it to you. I had used one for 5 years, taught more than one class using it, and even had one on my doubles rig for a while. I have never had a problem with it and have used it more than once. I liked having less hoses ( I dove with 2 hoses at one point), and I had a little less clutter in front of me.

Is it the best invention ever? No not hardly, does it do it's job when asked, definately. With every piece of scuba equipment, you need to practice with it. People who have complained about the Air2 and its clones either never use them or never practiced with them.

Is it the best choice for you? I don't know, but I give you the choice to decide.

howarde:
Wouldn't any BC have a manual vent?
Yes.
howarde:
Wouldn't any buddy breathing ascent be somewhat stressful?
Yes.
howarde:
I don't see why using an Air2 would add to the stress of a buddy breathing ascent.
When breathing from an Air2, you're essentially breathing and venting from the same device. When I use a regular second stage, I can hold the inflator above my head/BC to make it as efficient as possible without that affecting my breathing. While using an Air2, I'd have to take the reg out of my mouth to elevate the manual dump above my head. Why complicate things? Of course, if you're in the habit of dumping from a different valve, that's not a major issue.

I guess one might say I've gone to a "suspenders & belt" situation because I now use my Airsource on my Balance (BTW, I really like the Balance -- good choice!) and a necklaced secondary. I have a 34" hose on my primary (and probably will go to a 40" at some time) which is the donated reg.

Every once in a while I switch over to the Airsource just for practice. While it doesn't breathe all that well, it is good enough (at least for me). It can be a bit confusing to exhaust air and breathe at the same time, but a little bit of practice makes it OK.

Although I am NOT DIR (heh, heh), I do believe that donating your primary is a better way of working so the Airsource is a good option.

BTW, I couldn't help but watch almost every other diver last week drag their damn Octo over the reef, bottom, wall, everything! Whether or not I used the Airsource, I would certainly necklace my secondary and donate the primary -- if only not to be a Rule 6 violator!

MSilvia:
While using an Air2, I'd have to take the reg out of my mouth to elevate the manual dump above my head. Why complicate things? Of course, if you're in the habit of dumping from a different valve, that's not a major issue.

I would (and do) famaliarize myself with all of the air dump valves on my bc. If someone didn't know where all of their dumps are, I would suggest that they use any and all of them on a regular basis, thus the familiarity with using them... Which would obviously be beneficial in this case... Don't you think?

My solution to the short primary hose on my primary was to get a 42" primary hose, routed under my arm and a MJ Engineering ball swivel on the primary reg.
I know that some are of the opinion that a ball swivel is another source of potential failure , so I got the best one I could find, one that is regularly suggested here as a good company and stayed away from the cheap chrome Jobbie.
Practice with whatever config you have, point out differences in your rig when diving with a different buddy, go with what you want.
I might change someday to a backup octo bungied to my neck, instead of the Air2, but for now, I think I have a workable compromise, very much easier to donate my primary now with the longer hose and the swivel is more comfortable for me and helps the air share too ... Note: this is only what I decided to do

Also, what Howard has to say about practice with All your dump valves is a good one (your hand forgets just where that one that you never use is, pretty quick)

practice dumping, I like it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom