Insurance question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok the shop i am doing my DM thru and will do my AI,IDC and IE with has recommended i get insurance under their policy. As i would have a better coverage if something happened while teaching,guiding or working with them. The problem is that there is a more local shop(they didn't offer DM or higher training) that i might teach,guide or work for.

Now for the question. Would i be better off just getting insurance on my own or picking a shop to go under?

Depending on which company your shop uses, if you go under the shop's policy you may only be covered while assisting for that particular shop, so If you plan to work with other shops it may be better to buy your own liability insurance.

Find out the small print on the shops policy before you decide!

I agree with LowVizWiz' advice to check out the fine print.

Based on my narrow experience, insurance through the shop might not be better. I got an individual policy for years, and added our shop as an "additional insured" for no extra cost. Then our shop started offering group insurance at a reduced rate. The policy was essentially the same, but the maximum benefit was now for the entire set of staff, not for each individual. I just watch to see if someone else in the shop gets sued, and if so, would get an individual policy again – just in case they use it all up.

Depending on the relationship between you and the two shops, it might be reasonable to get the policy through either shop, and add the other as an additional insured.

But the above would depend on which insurance company, and the fine print.

A dive shop's own insurance should cover any accidents that occur whilst training.

If you are a diver, get DAN insurance.

If you are a professional diver, you can get liability insurance from PADI (assuming you're a PADI pro; other agencies have the same program) and if you have a European home address then DAN Europe can also cover your professional liability wherever you work in the world.

If you're a professional diver working under an agency - take their recommended insurance policy. The logic of that is rather inescapable. If you spend any time under the water at all, get DAN insurance. No, I'm not a sales rep., but I would if I could.

Safe diving,

C.

On personal experience I would suggest getting your own personal insurance that covers you as a professional as well. That way if you travel or decide to work for someone else you don't have to repeat your insurance applications.

The policy was essentially the same, but the maximum benefit was now for the entire set of staff, not for each individual.

This would be my biggest concern about joining a group policy.

For example, on a big weekend for certification dives, our shop could have three instructors and four assistants (usually other instructors). If there was a large accident involving multiple students, and all seven instructors were found liable, then all of a sudden those limits don't seem very large.

Our shop has an excellent relationship with another insurer that is not the PADI publicized one. The rates are slightly better, but the coverage is greater. Right when I became a professional, I received better customer service from the private insurer than the PADI one.

Also, make sure you list all of the additional insured that you need to.

Depending on the relationship between you and the two shops, it might be reasonable to get the policy through either shop, and add the other as an additional insured.

If insured under the shop group policy, you as an individual do not get to list additional insureds. Your shop can list additional insureds (typically, scuba parks they train at, boat charters they book, etc.) but I think pigs will fly before they list a competitor dive shop as an additional insured.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom