Insurance for equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings,

I've used the equipment insurance offered through DAN and recommend it.

Last year I passed my rig ( DSLR in Ikelite housing with dual strobes) up to a boat crew member who placed it in a rinse tank while I got back on the boat. Promptly recovering my rig I found it catastrophically flooded when another rig pried the lens port off of the main housing. Total loss of housing strobe electronic pack, Nikon body, and lens.
Lesson: Rinse your own camera yourself.....rinse tanks are dangerous.

The boat Captain was kind enough to provide me with a letter on company stationary that stated that on that day, on the boat, the accident had occurred, and stating the extent of damage. When I got home I reviewed the policy and incorrectly deduced that I was facing essentially a total loss.

The insurance company proved me wrong. They were great and took excellent care of me. I think it's very important to talk to a claims agent, find out what they need, and then make sure you have it all together. If you make their job easier they are much more in your corner.

I insure all my DSLR equipment as a separate part of my renters insurance through allstate.

I made darn sure that this special insurance covers ANYthing that could possibly happen to my gear. The only thing it does not cover is "normal wear and tear".

I think it runs me about $25 per thousand insured, per year, so not a bad deal to be able to shoot anywhere without having to worry about getting mugged, going overboard, or whatever other bizarre ways I can part company with my gear :bananalama:

Another thought might be to check into a Travel Insurance policy that covers your 'luggage' which could include your dive gear. I was told by a 'travel insurance agent' that they cover luggage as a single risk during the entire trip. You'd need to document the contents and back up any claims with receipts, but if your dive gear was lost/stolen during the trip it would be covered on some travel policies. Other insurance riders, like on your homeowners will do basically the same thing. Those policies will not cover things like flooded camera housings, etc because of the exclusions.
Most divers will 'self insure' and make sure they keep track of their gear in the hectic transfers of a dive operation. Charter captains will tell you that many people simply forget to take their gear. Last month on a boat dive in south Florida, I was leaving the parking lot when I spotted a dive bag sitting on the ground. Turns out the diver came back from her dive and carried everything to her mini-van but forgot to load the dive bag in the side door and drove off leaving it on the ground. Luckily, she had a luggage tag that had her cell phone on it. When I called her, she was thankful that I found it because she was diving about 120 miles away the following day. Also, she was grateful that I wasn't a 'treasure hunter' and just put the dive bag in my car and drive off.
So, keep track of your gear and realize that to an extent you are self insured.

Greetings,
I've used the equipment insurance offered through DAN and recommend it.
Last year I passed my rig ( DSLR in Ikelite housing with dual strobes) up to a boat crew member who placed it in a rinse tank while I got back on the boat. Promptly recovering my rig I found it catastrophically flooded when another rig pried the lens port off of the main housing. Total loss of housing strobe electronic pack, Nikon body, and lens.
Lesson: Rinse your own camera yourself.....rinse tanks are dangerous.
The insurance company proved me wrong. They were great and took excellent care of me. I think it's very important to talk to a claims agent, find out what they need, and then make sure you have it all together. If you make their job easier they are much more in your corner.

We are very glad to hear about the good coverage you had with DAN insurance. Some of the stories are not always a happy ending. Fortunately, you received that letter which helped to document the loss and put the incident as an accidental housing flooding.

The biggest challenge an insurance company has is to cover something that could welcome fraud. Unfortunately, they look at underwater photography as a high risk class. Partly because of our environment and partly because of the ease of fraud. Either way, as divers, we'll always be looking for gear coverage for a reasonable cost to cover the 'oops' or worse moments.

I feel fortunate in the fact that over 35+ years of diving with cameras, I've only flooded 7 cameras/strobes. AND two of those were this year! The lump in my throat still happens when I first discover it, but what really ticks me off is the fact that when it happens; I've lost some really fantastic shots which I'll never see. Guess that means I need to book another dive. (With my new camera gear)...

Call your insurance company. My SCUBA gear is all covered by my homeowner' insurance (the same applies to my bicycle and my instruments) provided that I don't use them for commercial purposes. There's no extra charge.

That's my policy; yours will likely vary.

That is the best advice. I called my insurance company and my gear is covered even on vacation.

I'm posting this on the different insurance threads (in various forums) I've seen recently, so if you see this in various places, my apologies, but I think it's an important issue for those who are shopping for insurance and reading this thread as a result.

Below is the text of an email announcement I received from DEPP concerning changes to my equipment insurance coverage. While I can recognize the validity of the arguments the company has put forth, I'm upset that they are apparently changing the policy that I only paid for last month rather than instituting changes when renewals are due.

I may be in the market for a different insurance company.

TO OUR VALUED D.E.P.P. MEMBERS

As we have been indicating to you the past few months, the changing trends
and demographics in the dive industry have affected the results of the D.E.P.P.
Program. The average claim cost has gone up noticeably, the number of enrollments
has not increased at the same rate as in previous years, and divers are becoming
more selective in the items they wish to insure. The economic downturn has caused
a reduction in recreational diving, and the TSA regulations have made security of
dive and camera equipment on airlines extremely tenuous.

Underwriters’ first solution to these situations is always to increase the rates.
We have successfully argued that a rate increase penalizes all members, and unfairly
places the burden on those customers that have not incurred losses. However,
certain changes had to be made, and the following will become effective 1st
September, 2010.

A deductible of ten percent (10%) of the claim will be implemented on all
non-flood claims. The deductible applicable to flood will be increased to twenty
percent (20%) of the loss amount, up from the current deductible of 10%. Any
airline loss will now be limited to a maximum of USD $1,000 per trip. As previously
indicated, additional information on claims will also be required.

Finally, schedules of equipment including high-valued items, such as
rebreathers and certain photographic equipment, may be subject to added
underwriting criteria. If you wish to add such items to your schedule, please request
such additions at least two (2) weeks prior to taking a dive trip, so we have time to
complete any additional underwriting prerequisites required by our carrier.

We appreciate your business and your understanding as we take these steps
to improve the overall D.E.P.P. results. Hopefully, by avoiding an across-the-board
rate increase, we have maintained our competitive position in the marketplace and
still have taken the necessary steps to continue the viability of the program. Thank
you.

I'm posting this on the different insurance threads (in various forums) I've seen recently, so if you see this in various places, my apologies, but I think it's an important issue for those who are shopping for insurance and reading this thread as a result.

Below is the text of an email announcement I received from DEPP concerning changes to my equipment insurance coverage. While I can recognize the validity of the arguments the company has put forth, I'm upset that they are apparently changing the policy that I only paid for last month rather than instituting changes when renewals are due.

I may be in the market for a different insurance company.

As with any kind of insurance, the best way to evaluate them is when you need them.

I have had gear insurance with DEPP going on three years and until now, have not needed to file a claim with them.

I was in Bonaire and flooded my camera on 7-4-10. I sent an email that same day to DEPPInfo@AWRYInc.com asking about the process to file a claim. Before leaving Bonaire on 7-10-10, I was able to locate the "Preliminary" claim form on their website and submitted that.

After that I emailed them, left multiple voice mails on their recorder since they screen all their calls (and promise a response within 24 hours) and sent them a fax to the number where you can add gear to your policy trying to find out the status of my claim.

After posting here and sending copies of a PM I got from another Scubaboard member to DEPP, I finally got a response.

I was directed to send my camera and housing in for inspection. I shipped it off on 7-29-10 and on 8-5-10 the inspector replied that the flooding damaged the camera to the extent that it would not be cost effective to replace it.

On 8-12-10 I sent another email to DEPP asking for the status of my claim. I was told it was in the hands of the broker.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

I will be updating this thread once my pending claim with DEPP is resolved.

Duke

PENDING CLAIM WITH DEEP
My equipment was robbed back on September and I imediately filed the claim with DEPP and submitted a copy of the police report. Until now (almost 180 days later) they are still telling me that my claim is with the broker... I wonder if they will pay. I also remain optimistic...
I will let you know if I ever get paid...

Your homeowners insurance might cover your gear, less the deductable. You have to read your policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom