Insulting ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People who look for reasons to be offended usually find something that they are looking for.

On the tackiness point, for the next ad, I suggest you go for something really classy: I am thinking lesbian vampire strippers?

Navy Vet here, which has no bearing on anything IMO, just throwing it out because served/not served has been used several times. The ad didn't bother me whatsoever. Maybe Wormil has an opinion? :D

adurso:
C'mon Walter, this is good for another couple of pages yet of beating the dead horse

Not to worry, that will happen anyway.

adurso:
I am a vet and found nothing insulting in the ad....

That's because, while I find it in bad taste, it wasn't insulting. On the other hand, most ads are in bad taste.

iztok:
Actually that is where we disagree.

So what? We agree there is no problem now. That being the case, it doesn't really matter if there was a problem before or not. We also agree those responsible for the ad intended no insult to anyone. What else about this thread really matters?

iztok:
But those places were in fact invaded with military force.

Yes, they were. The UK, Canada, and the US invaded Normandy, North Korea invaded South Korea and after UN forces kicked them out of South Korea, those UN forces invaded North Korea.

I don't think this is the first time humor and war have been used in the same context.

Anyone remembers M*A*S*H?

People who look for reasons to be offended usually find something that they are looking for.
Damn ! If I hadn't been offended by your comment about hunting the French in another thread, I'd agree with you… :wink:

On the tackiness point, for the next ad, I suggest you go for something really classy: I am thinking lesbian vampire strippers?

OMG totally I love that idea!

As for the original ad, you couldn't come up with anything better? Even your defense that 'invasion' has multiple meanings loses credibility when you decided to pair the message with pictures of US troops. It reminded me of when we stopped in Grenada a couple of years ago on a cruise & I went up to the old fortress & there was a plaque commemorating the loss of life in the 1983 INVASION. Stopped me in my tracks. The US and other militaristic nations are guilty of invading lands globally & in the end lives are lost. Tacky is the least of the issues with the ad.

Thank you though to everyone's comments. That's what I do Love about America & Scubaboard.

We're allowed to hunt the French?? :popcorn:

(just kidding :))

Only in season; and you must have a valid stamp on your license.

Of course you may hunt them out of season if they are destroying your crops.

Only in season; and you must have a valid stamp on your license.

Of course you may hunt them out of season if they are destroying your crops.

Too....many...jokes........MUST...gain....control....:rofl3:

(I sincerely apologize to anyone I've offended, who might have already been offended by the ad)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom