Insulting ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like "you've gone through hell in the past,
Actually, compared to this, some of our past Keys Invasions WERE hell. :D

Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP's avatar contains the word "coonass?"

Isn't that an invitation for some to take offense? (Heck, it's pretty well documented.)

Mistakes happen. The OP made a mistake and originally wrote "add" instead of "ad". It got corrected. Pete made what he thought was a catchy connection w/ his ad and, when it was pointed out that maybe it wasn't funny to some folks, it got corrected. Obviously the two mistakes were entirely different but the fact that corrections were made is the important part, not the mistakes.

Serving or not serving is irrelevant in this instance. (We keep the military around to protect our freedom of speech, not to determine it.) Opinions aren't dependent on serving, or the majority of Americans would have to keep their yaps shut. Hey! No, better not go there. Have a nice day. Huh? Ok, jeez. Have whatever kinda day you prefer. Or do not prefer. Heck, you can even vote "No preference" alright? I mean it's your right... :eyebrow: // ww

No one intended to insult anyone. That's the important point.

Was it in poor taste? Yes. Was it changed? Yes. The problem was solved.

Let's go diving.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP's avatar contains the word "coonass?"

Isn't that an invitation for some to take offense? (Heck, it's pretty well documented.)

I am not sure if I am really your post correctly or not. So, here is the Webster for Coonass. Now, I am not from LA, but when I just visited, they really had fun with the term there. So, I will guess that he is proud of his Cajun background. As he appears to be of his military background. I do not think we should take that from him.

Coonass, or Coon-ass, is used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity. Many consider it an insult but others consider it a compliment or badge of honor.

Although many Cajuns use the word in regard to themselves, other Cajuns view the term as an ethnic slur against the Cajun people, especially when used by non-Cajuns. Socioeconomic factors appear to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ethnic pride; whereas middle- and upper-class Cajuns are more likely to regard the term as insulting or degrading, even when used by fellow Cajuns in reference to themselves.[1] (In Sociolinguistics, this type of behavior is termed covert prestige.)

Despite an effort by Cajun activists to stamp out the term, it can be found on T-shirts, hats, and bumper stickers throughout Acadiana, the 22-parish Cajun homeland in south Louisiana.[1] The term is also used by some of Cajun descent in nearby east Texas.

No one intended to insult anyone. That's the important point.

Was it in poor taste? Yes. Was it changed? Yes. The problem was solved.

Let's go diving.

C'mon Walter, this is good for another couple of pages yet of beating the dead horse; there are grammar issues, spelling issues, freedom of speech issues, who served in the military issues....hours of endless fun and excitement await....

For what it is worth, I am a vet and found nothing insulting in the ad....

Example: I'm an animal lover. If SB had some ad glorifying Michael Vick, I would find that insulting. I'm not saying SB would be forced to take it down. However, I would be even more annoyed in some Eagles fan told me that I should not be insulted. No one should tell someone else what is and is not insulting.

Sure thing and fallacy you initially presented is insulting to me. (And OP used the same false argument.)

Having served in military does not have any weight.

"I am a former military and I find it insulting" statement has no merit.

"I find this insulting because it depicts military in a demeaning way" statement has merit.

Hope you understand the difference.

Was it in poor taste? Yes.

Actually that is where we disagree. I didn't find it in poor taste and I bet many didn't either.

Ad didn't depict military in a bad way.

I find the comment that our brave men and women "invaded" these counties to be highly insulting.

But those places were in fact invaded with military force.

An invasion is a military offensive consisting of all, or large parts of the armed forces of one geopolitical entity aggressively entering territory controlled by another such entity, generally with the objective of either conquering, liberating or re-establishing control or authority over a territory, forcing the partition of a country, altering the established government or gaining concessions from said government, or a combination thereof.

See the "liberating" part of the definition of invasion.

I think the issue is that you understand the term invasion wrong.

I have several family members who served in the military. As my personal opinion, I didn't find it insulting. I have been helping to promote this trip and am sorry to see people feel this way. It wasn't the intention to insult anybody.

I don't think this is the first time humor and war have been used in the same context. Pick just about any subject and you can find it used in advertising. If we need to be so politicaly correct all the time as to not tread on anyone's sensibilities, the what's the point of forums even like this?

Please take it for what it is. A little tongue and cheek humor. That's all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom