Answered: Insufficient privileges to post.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've posted hundreds of posts here, and I'm also currently unable to post in the classifieds section.... so not sure what's up with that.
Try now

Life is full of changes!

Go to preferences and check access marketplace. Within the hour you should be able to post a new thread.

@jlcnuke That's pretty messed up you can't post to classifieds. You're far more active than I've ever been on this site. I'm on waterpixels now, and look at that site every day.

Gaming the system is frowned upon.

It looks like you've "Liked" dozens of posts in dozens of threads since you joined SB. Go ask a question or contribute some thought in one of those threads. Is it really that hard?

As to your first point, I am not attempting to 'game' anything... simply restating the obvious.

Is 'liking' a post frowned upon? I had no idea!!! When a user posts something that is helpful ( to me at least) I consider a show of support by liking their post. I'll be more measured in the future. Certainly don't want to be put in a timeout. SMH. Lighten up, will you?

When I have a legitimate question that begs an answer, I will absolutely post. However, in many cases its simply a matter of searching the forums for something that has already been posted.

Given that I just got into diving 18 months ago at the age of 61 and only have ~30+ dives completed, I have ALOT to learn, especially from more experienced divers. This board has been invaluable for that purpose.

It's quite unfortunate that scammers have made things difficult for 'real' users to interact with others, even if this real user is relatively new to the site.

-Alan J Totin, CPA

As to your first point, I am not attempting to 'game' anything... simply restating the obvious.

Is 'liking' a post frowned upon? I had no idea!!! When a user posts something that is helpful ( to me at least) I consider a show of support by liking their post. I'll be more measured in the future. Certainly don't want to be put in a timeout. SMH. Lighten up, will you?

When I have a legitimate question that begs an answer, I will absolutely post. However, in many cases its simply a matter of searching the forums for something that has already been posted.

Given that I just got into diving 18 months ago at the age of 61 and only have ~30+ dives completed, I have ALOT to learn, especially from more experienced divers. This board has been invaluable for that purpose.

It's quite unfortunate that scammers have made things difficult for 'real' users to interact with others, even if this real user is relatively new to the site.

-Alan J Totin, CPA
Clicking Like under a post is never frowned upon.

If you read a bit more between the lines, you'll understand that scammers "game" the system by posting meaningless comments in threads (e.g. posting repeatedly still available) in a marketplace thread.

Any technical solution to the problem of keeping scammers away from the board will eventually be circumvented.
Preventing any scams from happening requires a vigilant modsquad and buyers that are wary of offers that are too good to be true.

That second part is something Scubaboard cannot change. But the first one, yes.
Changes.

Somehow, it's human nature to be against any changes. In the world of technology, changes are happening every second. While you're reading this post, changes are happening in the background like an update of how many times this post has been displayed.

And when changes occur, it seems to be human nature as well to complain first and ask questions later. Especially when you can complain anonymously....

Well, when one's post consists of nothing but "Same here!" in reply to someone who posted "I'm trying to get 10 posts as well, which is why I'm here," it sure looks like both of you only posted in this thread to add another post to your post count. That is not contributing any sort of content; rather, posting for no reason than to up one's post count is gaming the system. We're not asking for much, just post something that isn't effectively an empty post. It's a low bar.
Is 'liking' a post frowned upon? I had no idea!!!
Please, no, I did not mean to imply that. I mentioned that we can see you "Liked" quite a few posts in quite a few different threads because it shows you have been reading lots of threads, and that's great. What has kept you from adding to one or more of those threads some question or comment or even just some thought that popped into your head as you read the thread? As a new-ish diver, surely you have a question or other thought about something you read?

We don't mean to make this difficult. We just want people to participate here in some minimal but genuine way so as to differentiate them from scammers.

Well, when one's post consists of nothing but "Same here!" in reply to someone who posted "I'm trying to get 10 posts as well, which is why I'm here," it sure looks like both of you only posted in this thread to add another post to your post count. That is not contributing any sort of content; rather, posting for no reason than to up one's post count is gaming the system. We're not asking for much, just post something that isn't effectively an empty post. It's a low bar.

Please, no, I did not mean to imply that. I mentioned that we can see you "Liked" quite a few posts in quite a few different threads because it shows you have been reading lots of threads, and that's great. What has kept you from adding to one or more of those threads some question or comment or even just some thought that popped into your head as you read the thread? As a new-ish diver, surely you have a question or other thought about something you read?

We don't mean to make this difficult. We just want people to participate here in some minimal but genuine way so as to differentiate them from scammers.
Thank-you for the well worded response.

I am a bit gun shy in responding to posts as my very FIRST post was flamed for not recognizing my question to a central Ohio diver was from a thread from 2014. And for that I got a snarky reply. I was new to the board and should've checked the post's date stamp. Shame on me, but it certainly didn't warrant the rude response.

As a result, I 'like' posts that are helpful and primarily search for info when needed. As I get more diving experience I look forward to sharing my knowledge with others. At the moment, that isn't much.

-Alan

@Bababui It's sad and unnecessary when people respond in rude and snarky ways. We all have to learn how things work, including sites like this.

My posting problem seems to be fixed. I'm able to post to classified now.

I am a bit gun shy in responding to posts as my very FIRST post was flamed for not recognizing my question to a central Ohio diver was from a thread from 2014. And for that I got a snarky reply. I was new to the board and should've checked the post's date stamp. Shame on me, but it certainly didn't warrant the rude response.
That is unfortunate, and I can see how that might have turned you off from wanting to participate. PLEASE, going forward, feel free to hit the Report button on any post you believe is objectionable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom