instructors and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I typically use the dive shop's rental gear while in the pool, so that the students can mirror my demonstration, since we'll be using the same setup. They'll typically be using rental equipment anyway, also from the dive shop.

This keeps my gear chlorine-free, although this isn't always an issue since one of the pool I use most is actually unchlorinated but uses filtered water instead. It's really more for the students' benefit.

In OW, I use an "unconventional" setup, which I agree allows the students to see alternatives -- I use a backfloat and weight-integrated SQ Balance (slightly modified), with an AirSource II as my AAS. My SPG is a tiny Tritium, mounted on the right side and routed over the shoulder and clipped into place on the shoulder D-ring. No console, but I use my Vyper (wrist) as a depth gauge and timing device (and of course, as a dive computer :wink:), and wear a dive watch for backup depth and dive time information.

I don't demo in OW anyway, so the differences between our setups (e.g., I'm using integrated weights, they're using weightbelts) don't cause a problem. Still, I make sure to explain to the students the differences in my configuration, and how they don't depart from any of the standards they've been taught during the course (for example, alternate air source, quick release weights, complete instrumentation). This additional info is also useful to them when they finally go and buy their own gear. :)

I prefer not to go doubles and backplate, though, as that might be too much of a departure from what they saw me use and what they'll be using.

Monster...

All pools use a filter of some sort to filter the water. But generally chlorine is still needed to dissinfect. An ozonator might be what you have.

The chlorine levels can be kept at levels that won't cause as much damage to equipment (fading, etc). But you have to check the chlorine level and correct it if need be. That and try not to use the pool the day the pool service guy comes by.

Don't ask me why, cd, but that one pool in particular doesn't use chlorine. Which is why we have to change the water quite frequently. :)

Wish we could do that here....

Probably cause of all the darn laws around these parts. No chlorine would be GREAT!

I am in the pool & spa business... and always looking for ways to not have to chlorinate.

Back
Top Bottom