instructors and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a good product to keep around. Do you also rinse your wet suit in it?

~lildiver

I use dive shop gear in pool for demo and student-like configuration. My gear in OW. That seems standard with other friend/instructors. Also a good way to keep Instructor/dive shop relations good. I use a plate and wings when in OW since I don't have to demo.

I have several sets of gear and can rig up to tec with plate and wing but.... As for instruction I use the same set up in the pool as well as open water when with students. Yep , my stuff is discolored from the clorine but works just fine .If I could find the same BC used and looking like new I would certainly use the non abused set in the open water.

Ron

When I tried my new BC in a pool the shop owner had me get it wet with fresh water first. Same thing with a DUI drysuit in a different shop. Apparently the fresh water "helps". I don't know.

don O

Two Sets....

Many instructors that I know use two sets: one for the pool and one for the open water. The reason being that many instructors don't use very thick wetsuits in the pool and thus can use a "leaner" bc versus a 7mm wet or drysuit in the OW where a BC with some lift would be nice. Besides that chlorine sucks on gear, destroying it over a short period of time. I think that having a nice kit for OW and an older kit for pool is a good idea, kind of like recycling the gear. And, the bonus is that they are competent using both as they have been using the old gear for years before getting newer better stuff with their "payments" for instructing.

I do.

I'm a Kanuck instructor since 1978, in Ontario.

I have a USD Conshelve XIV reg+ octopus, 3mm suit, TUSA mask and fins and BC (jacket) that I use in the pool.

In the open water I use a Mares MR22 Abyss regulator, Suunto Cobra dive computer, Viking Drysuit, Diverite Backplate and wing.
I also keep an MR12 with analog console back up regulator with me.

I choose not to submit my o/w gear to the weekly chlorine abuse. The silcone on my pool mask
has yellowed from it's repeated exposure.

Mike

I only have one locker to keep everything in. So... only one set. I don't spend enough time in the pool to worry about keeping a disposable set for pool use only. I also don't want two sets of gear to service. I rinse my gear very well and usually have it being used in saltwater within a day or so.:boom:

I use different gear for pool and OW. In the pool I either use the rental stuff or gear that I don't really care what happens to (what I use when cleaning the bottom of boats or changing props ect...) In OW I always have doubles with seperate regs, harness, backplate ect.. Its what I feel most at home with. Plus in reality diving with OW students is like solo diving anyway, and if a problem arises I have to be able to take care of it, The last thing I want to do is depend on someone who is new to the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom