Instructor Recommendations Fort Lauderdale area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to complete my PADI OW training in Fort Lauderdale.

I started last summer in Pittsburgh but didn't get my open water dives done before the weather hit in the fall.

I will be moving to Florida in a couple of weeks so I'm looking for recommendations for instructors in the Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, Boca, Boynton area with whom I can do my referral dives and most likely AOW.

If you are or know of a great instructor, please drop me a name.

There are so many ops and instructors in the area that I'd like to whittle the list down if possible.

Looking for someone who really dials in buoyancy and will be a good fit for doing deep and wreck diving as part of AOW.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest you complete your OW certification dives in the Upper Keys rather than in Fort Lauderdale. Generally less current (although you never know), shallower reef dives, and better and healthier corals and marine life as well as 4 big, deep wrecks for the AOW deep and wreck dives. It's worth the 90 minute trip and one or two overnights. If you decide to go that route I recommend Conch Republic Divers and their instructor Mark, in Tavenier about 10 minutes south of Key Largo.

Thanks, @caruso

Just looked up Mark on the Conch website and he's a Marine also.

We might just have a few things in common.

I would suggest you complete your OW certification dives in the Upper Keys rather than in Fort Lauderdale. Generally less current (although you never know), shallower reef dives, and better and healthier corals and marine life as well as 4 big, deep wrecks for the AOW deep and wreck dives. It's worth the 90 minute trip and one or two overnights. If you decide to go that route I recommend Conch Republic Divers and their instructor Mark, in Tavenier about 10 minutes south of Key Largo.

That's not necessarily good advice. All types of novice divers are certified by instructors from Pompano to Jupiter. Most all do just fine. That includes kids as young as 10. The key is how often a one dives following certification. The best way to reinforce learned skills is repetition. Dive and dive often!

I did my AOW near Ft. Lauderdale (Pompano Beach and Lauderdale by the Sea). Condition wise, most of what I saw wouldn't be a problem for an OW student.

You have shallow reefs right off the beach. You can make them out on Google Maps right off the beach (Lauderdale by the Sea). I was diving with my instructor off the beach for a few dives and you could see dive boats dropping people out off the farther reef (third from the shore, iirc). I saw plenty of cool stuff within 100 yards or so of shore.

I had a GREAT time at Lauderdale by the Sea and Pompano Beach. Good luck with your move and instructor selection, OP.:cheers:

I did my Rescue Diver course with Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea. Can't recall the instructor's name since I don't have my card with me, but he was really good: lots of practical applications of the skills we learned. The shop has lots of instructors. Between beach dives (ocean) and Tiger tail lake, you can save a bit of $ since not all dives have to be off a charter boat.

With that said, Conch Republic had a great staff too

I'm looking to complete my PADI OW training in Fort Lauderdale.

I started last summer in Pittsburgh but didn't get my open water dives done before the weather hit in the fall.

I will be moving to Florida in a couple of weeks so I'm looking for recommendations for instructors in the Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, Boca, Boynton area with whom I can do my referral dives and most likely AOW.

If you are or know of a great instructor, please drop me a name.

There are so many ops and instructors in the area that I'd like to whittle the list down if possible.

Looking for someone who really dials in buoyancy and will be a good fit for doing deep and wreck diving as part of AOW.

Thanks in advance!

Aquatic ventures in Ft Lauderdale is who I used. They are a great shop with great people. Kary the owner is a marine and Tom one of the instructors in an ex navy diver. They do a lot of work with veterans.

About Us - Aquatic Ventures Best Scuba Classes in Florida

I am located in Maryland, but I have done a lot of my training in Pompano. I work with Extended Range Diving Services (Extended Range Diving Services-Exceptional Instruction Personalized Adventure). This team is amazing. They have a wide range of diving experiences and they are wonderful people. They are based in North Carolina, but work in Florida regularly. I did wreck certification with Kelsey and I have been working on my tech diving with Jon. They arrange trips to your area and work with Pompano Dive Center. Pompano is great also. I have only been diving four years and they have been involved in the journey.

Hi @CDMac

I would lean toward doing your OW referral dives and your AOW locally, where, presumably, you will also be doing much of your diving. Drift diving might make a good dive for part of your AOW

Yup. I got to do a drift dive off Pompano Beach with South Florida Diving Headquarters. I thought it was a great introduction to drift diving. The current was strong enough that you could just float along, but it wasn't too difficult to hold your position if you wanted to check something out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom